I like to cook and eat natural, healthy, and tasty foods, and I enjoy sharing recipes from my native Indian cuisine.
A Humble Flower With Multiple Health Benefits
Though cooking with banana flowers is quick and easy, people rarely do so. Perhaps they should consider doing so more often, though, because banana flowers are a storehouse of nutrients.
The banana flower is thought to help fight infection, support menstrual wellness, and promote kidney function.
Banana flower stir-fry (bale hoovu palya) is a great dish you can make with banana flowers. It is easy to make and has a lovely flavor, which makes it a favorite for many. Serve it with cooked rice and enjoy!
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
- 2 cups banana flowers (blossoms), outer 3-4 petals removed and the remaining portion chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt (divided)
- 2 teaspoons cooking oil, any type (I used coconut oil)
- 3 tablespoons grated coconut
- 3 broken dry red chilies, byadigi chili or less spicy chilies
- 1 teaspoon jaggery, powdered
- 1 teaspoon tamarind paste
- 1 1/4 teaspoons mustard seeds (divided)
- a few curry leaves, for the tempering
- Remove the 3-4 outer petals of each banana flower and discard. Finely chop the remaining portion.
- Bring a pot of water to a boil (make sure there is enough water to immerse the chopped flowers). Add the chopped flowers, 1 teaspoon salt, and turmeric powder. Continue to boil it for 10 minutes.
- Turn off the heat. Strain it and set aside.
- Making the spice mixture: Add grated coconut, 1/4 teaspoon mustard seeds, and broken dry red chilies to a mixer jar. Grind without adding water. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a deep-bottomed pan. Over medium heat, add 1 teaspoon mustard seeds. Allow them to crackle. Throw in curry leaves and mix well.
- Add cooked banana flowers, jaggery powder, tamarind paste, and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Saute it over low heat until the water evaporates from it completely.
- Add ground spice mixture and mix. Simmer for 1 minute. Turn off the heat.
- Serve with cooked rice and enjoy.