South Indian Banana Fritters With Wheat Flour (Banana Bonda)
Banana Fritters (Banana Bonda)
Banana bonda are a super easy and delicious South Indian evening snack. Crisp on the outside, they are soft and spongy on the inside with the mouthwatering flavors of ripe banana and fennel seeds. This is a perfect evening snack with a hot cup of coffee or tea.
Bananas are rich in potassium, probiotics, carbohydrates, and antioxidants.
- 1/4 cup jaggery, powdered or grated, or to taste
- 1/2 cup water, to dissolve jaggery
- 3-4 ripe bananas, mashed
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 tablespoons ghee
- 1 tablespoon fennel seeds (saunf)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda or sodium bicarbonate
- cooking oil for frying
- In a small bowl, add the jaggery and water to dissolve the jaggery completely. Using filter or mesh, strain to get rid of impurities or dirt if any. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, add the bananas and mash.
- Add the wheat flour to the mashed bananas. Mix well.
- Gradually add the jaggery syrup to the wheat flour mixture. Mix to form a smooth, thick batter.
- In a pan, heat the ghee. Add this hot ghee to the prepared batter. Mix well.
- Add the fennel seeds and salt. Mix well. (You can add cardamom powder and ginger powder, as well, if you like.)
- Cover and set aside for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, add the baking soda. Mix to combine.
- Heat oil in a frying pan. Once hot, take a small portion of batter in hand (no need to shape it), drop it into the hot oil and fry till golden. Transfer the cooked fritters to a kitchen towel or paper towel to absorb the excess oil if any.
- Repeat the process for the remaining batter.
- Serve hot with hot coffee or tea and enjoy.
- Fry fritters over medium heat to avoid burning and to ensure that the fritters are cooked perfectly inside.
- Use perfectly ripe bananas to get the best flavor.
- Store these fritters in an airtight container for up to 2 days.
- You can replace whole wheat flour with plain flour or all-purpose flour (maida).
- You can use sugar instead of jaggery. But try to use jaggery for the perfect brown fritters.
- Without baking soda, the fritters will be soggy. Don't skip this ingredient.
- Add cardamom powder for extra flavor.
- If you can't dissolve the jaggery in water, add water to jaggery and heat it till it dissolves completely.
|Serving size: 1|
|Calories from Fat||27|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 3 g||5%|
|Unsaturated fat 1 g|
|Carbohydrates 13 g||4%|
|Sugar 2 g|
|Fiber 1 g||4%|
|Protein 2 g||4%|
|Sodium 2 mg|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|