Rajan loves cooking dishes from his native Indian cuisine. He enjoys sharing his favourite recipes with his online readers.
Vegan Beetroot Curry
This is a simple, healthy, delicious and completely vegan beetroot dry curry prepared Indian-style. It makes a great side dish at meals or it can serve as a main dish with parathas for breakfast.
Try it and share your feedback.
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
Read More From Delishably
For frying the beetroot:
- 300 grams chukandar (beetroot), peeled and diced
- mustard oil or any oil, as needed for frying
For the curry:
- 2 tbsp mustard oil
- 1/2 tsp jeera (cumin seeds)
- 1/4 tsp heeng (asafoetida powder)
- 2 sliced green chillies
- 1 medium onion, chopped fine
- 1 tsp ginger-garlic paste
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped fine
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- 1/2 tsp. red chilli powder
- 10-12 beetroot leaves, stems removed and chopped small
- 2 tbsp hara dhania (cilantro), chopped
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 lemon, juiced
- Fry the diced beetroot until they are partway soft (about half-cooked). Set aside. Remove the oil.
- Pour 2 tbsp of oil in a nonstick pan and heat it on low. Add in the jeera and heeng and let the jeera crackle. Add in the sliced green chillies and saute for a few seconds.
- Add in the chopped onion and saute for 2 minutes on medium heat. Add the ginger-garlic paste and saute until the masala turns light brown.
- Add the finely chopped tomatoes and mix well. Add in the salt, turmeric powder, coriander powder, garam masala and red chilli powder. Sir-cook the masala until oil starts separating out of the masala.
- Add the fried beetroot and chopped beetroot leaves. Mix well.
- Add in the chopped cilantro and water. Mix well; then reduce the heat to low, cover with a lid and cook until the beetroot is soft. Stir in between.
- Beetroot curry is ready. Serve with roti or paratha.
© 2022 Rajan Singh Jolly