Cooking is one of my passions. I like to make nutritious and tasty foods at home without using preservatives and artificial colors.
Nutritious and Colorful
Beetroot kootu is a delicious, mildly spiced curry that is highly nutritious. The main ingredient, in addition to beetroot, is moong dal (split mung beans). This dish pairs well with roti, steamed rice, chapati, or poori.
Beets are high in immunity-boosting vitamin C, fiber, and minerals, and they are also healthy for your bones, liver, kidneys, and pancreas. Moong dal contains resistant starch, fiber, protein, and minerals. Cooked moong dal gives a smooth texture to the food.
Making beetroot kootu is easy. Let me now share with you a detailed recipe for making this side dish.
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
Serves four people
- 2 small cups beetroot, diced
- 1 small cup moong dal (split de-husked mung beans)
- 1/4 cup grated coconut
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/4 cup onions, finely chopped
- 3-4 dry red chilies
- 2 pinches hing powder
- 8 curry leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 gooseberry-sized tamarind, soaked in water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 2 teaspoons oil, preferably coconut oil
- Wash beetroot and chop into small pieces.
- Wash moong dal and transfer it to a container.
- Add chopped beetroot. Throw in some salt. Add some water.
- Pressure cook this mixture until the beetroot is cooked. This may take about 7 minutes in a pressure cooker. Turn off the heat.
- In the meanwhile, add the grated coconut to a mixer. Add cumin seeds and red chilies.
- Grind, adding water, to make a smooth paste. Set aside.
- Next, heat oil in a deep-bottomed pan. Throw in mustard seeds. Let them crackle. Add curry leaves and hing powder. Saute for 5 seconds.
- Add chopped onions and saute until they are transparent. Add the ground paste. Saute for 2 minutes.
- Add cooked beetroot-moong dal mixture. Add some water. Throw in remaining salt. Mix well.
- Bring the mix to a boil. Adjust the consistency by adding water. Kootu should be moderately thick.
- Boil the mixture for 2-3 minutes. Turn off the heat.
- Your favorite beetroot kootu is ready! Serve with chapati, roti, poori, or steamed rice. Enjoy!
ShailaSheshadri (author) from Bengaluru on May 07, 2018:
Thanks. This is not exactly a soup. I presented it as a mild spicy side dish. Yes..you can keep a thin consistency and use as a soup. It will surely be your favorite dish.
Louise Powles from Norfolk, England on May 07, 2018:
I've never tried a soup like this before, but it sounds delicious. I'll make a note of the recipe and try it. Thankyou.