I like to cook and eat natural, healthy, and tasty foods. I use minimal oil and don't use artificial colors or preservatives in my cooking.
A Nutritious and Delicious Sweet Cake
Besan burfi is a mildly sweet and flavorful cake that is made from chickpea flour. The recipe calls for only four main ingredients: besan (chickpea flour or gram flour), ghee, cardamom powder, and sugar, and it takes only about half an hour to make.
Besan has many health benefits. It contains soluble fiber, which can help keep your heart healthy and may help control diabetes.
Ghee is a healthy fat that can help increase good cholesterol, reduce inflammation, and balance hormone levels in the body. It has loads of omega-3 fatty acids and vitamin A, both of which are nutritionally beneficial.
Burfi will keep well for up to 10 days if you store it in an airtight container.
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
- 2 small cups besan (chickpea flour), sieved
- 1 1/2 small cups sugar
- 1 small cup ghee
- 4-5 cardamom pods, powdered
- 8 almonds, sliced
- 2 pinches turmeric powder or yellow food coloring (optional)
- Sieve the gram flour.
- Grease a plate or tin with ghee. Set aside. On this plate, you are going to pour the hot besan burfi liquid.
- Heat the ghee in a deep-bottomed pan. Add the gram flour and saute it over low heat. Stir it continuously so that it doesn't burn. Add turmeric powder or yellow food coloring. Mix well.
- Saute the mixture until the gram flour changes its color and becomes slightly brownish, and you get a nice aroma of the roasted flour. Turn off the heat.
- Meanwhile, prepare the sugar syrup: Add sugar to a deep-bottomed pan. Add water to completely immerse the sugar.
- Bring the mixture to a boil while stirring occasionally. Continue to boil the mixture until you get a single-string consistency. To check the consistency, take a drop of the sugar syrup between your index finger and thumb finger. Stretch the fingers. If the syrup forms a single string, it has reached a single-string consistency.
- Add the cardamom powder. Continue to boil the syrup for 1 minute. Turn off the heat.
- Pour the sugar syrup to the pan containing the roasted besan. Turn on the heat.
- Stir the mixture continuously for 1 minute. The cooking process is over. Turn off the heat and transfer the hot mixture to the greased plate. Flatten it with the help of a spatula.
- Spread chopped almonds evenly on top. Press it a little to ensure that the almonds are firmly sitting on the burfi. Allow it to cool.
- After 5 minutes, use a knife to draw shallow criss-cross parallel lines over the top of the burfi. Carve rectangle or square pieces.
- After 15 minutes, insert the knife along the shallow lines to separate the pieces.
- Arrange the pieces on a plate and serve.
- Store the remaining burfi in an airtight container and enjoy eating for up to 10-12 days.
- While roasting the besan, even though you have to stir it continuously, don't stir it too much. Too much stirring may result in powdery burfi.
- Adding turmeric powder will not make the burfi smell like turmeric. The strong aromas of the cardamom and roasted besan are dominant.
- Make the burfi thick. If you make it too thin, it may break when you try to remove the pieces from the plate.
ShailaSheshadri (author) from Bengaluru on August 25, 2020:
Thanks for reading my hub. Please do try this recipe. It will satisfy you.
Amy on August 25, 2020:
I'm looking forward to trying your perfect recipe!
Thanks for sharing this recipe.