I am a chef on a luxury world cruise liner. I love to cook and write recipes that are inspired by foods from all over the world.
Eggs are a great source of protein, which means they can be the perfect way to power up your day. In this Filipino-style dish, I'm preparing a torta (omelette) with ampalaya (bitter gourd).
For the omelette:
- 200 grams bitter gourd, sliced
- 6 eggs, beaten
- 1 teaspoon fish sauce
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Cooking oil
For the preparation:
For preparing the ingredients:
- 3 medium bowls
- 1 small bowl
- 2 small plates
- Measuring spoons
- Chopping board
Read More From Delishably
- Cooking spoon
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
- Remove the ends of the bitter gourd. Slice each piece into half lengthwise. Scrape out the seeds and white pith using a spoon. Place in a bowl.
- Rub some salt into the slices to reduce its bitterness. Set aside for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Rinse the slices with water to get rid of the salt. Do this twice. Drain but leave a little bit of water for cooking the bitter gourd.
- Heat up a pan. Add the bitter gourd and the remaining liquid. Cook until the slices are dry.
- Add the cooking oil. Season with fish sauce, salt and pepper. Continue cooking the bitter gourd until tender.
- Spread out the slices in the pan and add in the beaten eggs. Cover the pan.
- Cook each side of the bitter gourd omelette.
- Serve with your favorite condiment.
Tips and Techniques
- For a milder bitter taste, choose the greenest gourds.
- Scraping off all of the white pith will reduce bitterness.
- Massage sliced bitter gourd with salt in order to draw out some of its water content. This will help lessen its bitterness.
- Ketchup is a delicious condiment for this omelette.
More Simple but Delicious Egg Recipes
- Easy Breakfast Idea: Egg, Cheese Dog, and Mushroom Lettuce Wrap
Are you tired of eating the same thing for breakfast every day? Let me show you an easy breakfast idea that's both delicious and low-carb.
- How to Make Cheesy Omelet With Chorizo and Spring Onions
The creaminess and saltiness of the cheese, the sweetness of the chorizo, and the pungency of the spring onions add exciting flavors to your favorite breakfast meal. Try this easy to make recipe at home.
© 2021 Travel Chef