What Is Bolani?
Bolani is one of the most popular Afghan appetizers. It is similar to a samosa but it uses a larger-sized pastry. Traditionally, bolani is made with either a potato and green onion filling or a gandana (chive) filling, and it is served with chutney and Greek-style yogurt. Authentic bolani involves making the dough first—but in order to save time and effort, we will use store-bought egg roll wrappers. Nosh-e-jaan!
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
- 4 medium potatoes
- 2 bunches spring/green onions, chopped (include both white and green parts)
- 1/4 teaspoon coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Salt, to taste
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- 1 package egg roll wrappers
- Chutney, for serving (see recipe below)
- Greek yogurt, for serving
- Boil the potatoes until soft and well cooked. Set aside to cool.
- Chop the green onions into small pieces.
- Once the potatoes have cooled, peel off the skin and mash them inside a mixing bowl.
- Add the green onions, coriander, salt and black pepper to the potato and mix well.
- Take 1 1/2 tablespoons of the potato mixture and place it on half of an egg roll wrapper diagonally. Wet the edges of the egg roll wrapper with water using your fingers or a basting brush. Take one end of the wrapper and attach it to the other end. Repeat this process with the rest of the stuffing and wrappers.
- Heat oil over a non-stick skillet on a medium-high heat. Place the pastry onto the heated oil and fry each side until golden brown. Repeat until all pastries are cooked.
- Serve with chutney and Greek yogurt. Enjoy!
Read More From Delishably
Afghan Chutney for Bolani
- 1 bunch cilantro or parsley
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 green/jalapeño pepper
- 1 cup vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Chop the cilantro (or parsley) and green pepper (or jalapeño) and place them in a blender.
- Add the rest of the ingredients (garlic, vinegar and salt) and blend until you achieve a smooth consistency.
- Pour in a glass jar or container and place it in the fridge overnight. It will be ready to use the next day.