Capsicum and Tomato Chutney Recipe
This capsicum tomato chutney is a great alternative to the more typical breakfast chutneys. It's an easy way to incorporate vegetables into the breakfast meal, and it also pairs well with rice and rotis.
Capsicum is low in calories and also has many health benefits. It is a rich source of vitamin A, vitamin C, and iron. It promotes eye health, boosts immunity, supports skin health, reduces inflammation and swelling, and can also help lower blood sugar.
- 1-2 medium-sized green capsicum, cubed
- 1-2 medium sized tomatoes, cubed
- 2 tablespoons urad dal
- 1 tablespoon chana dal
- 1-2 red chilies
- 1-2 green chilies
- 1-2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- Pinch asafoetida or hing
- Salt, to taste
- 1 bunch coriander leaves, for garnish
- Roughly cube tomatoes and capsicum (bell peppers) into medium-sized cubes. Set aside.
- In a pan, heat oil. Fry urad dal and chana dal until golden brown.
- Add red and green chilies to the pan. Fry for 1 minute.
- Add chopped tomatoes; fry until soft.
- Add capsicum. Fry and cook over medium to low flame for a few minutes, without adding water, until they become soft, shrink down, and are well cooked. Do not overcook. Let it cool completely.
- In a blender, add cooked vegetables and dal mixture. Add salt. Blend well without adding water. Blend to a smooth consistency. This is the basic chutney; now we will make the seasoning.
- In a frying pan, heat oil.
- Add urad dal and fry for 1-2 minutes. Add mustard seeds and let it splutter. Add hing.
- Add this seasoning to the chutney.
- Serve with dosa, idli, rice, or roti.
- While cooking the vegetables, the tomatoes will release a liquid that is sufficient for cooking. Do not add water; this will make the chutney runny.
- Tomatoes and capsicum do not take very long to cook.
- You can also use red bell pepper. It gives a bright color to the chutney.
- You can also use yellow capsicum, but the taste will be different.
- This recipe also goes well with akki roti.
|Serving size: 1|
|Calories from Fat||0|
|% Daily Value *|
|Carbohydrates 13 g||4%|
|Sugar 5 g|
|Fiber 3 g||12%|
|Protein 3 g||6%|
|Sodium 9 mg|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|