Rajan loves cooking dishes from his native Indian cuisine. He enjoys sharing his favourite recipes with his online readers.
Popular Indian Pudding
Chana dal halwa is a delicious pudding prepared with Bengal gram (brown chickpeas). It is a popular pudding, especially in the wintertime, that is somewhat similar to moong dal halwa (mung bean pudding).
It is very tasty and pretty easy to make. Do try it and share your experience.
Read More From Delishably
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
- 1 cup chana dal (split chickpeas), washed and soaked overnight, then drained and washed again
- 2 tablespoons water, or as needed to grind the dal
- 1/3 cup safed til (sesame seeds)
- 1 cup gur (jaggery), crushed
- 1 cup water, to dissolve the gur
- 6 tablespoons desi ghee (clarified butter), or as needed
- 1/4 tsp cardamom powder
- 4 badam (almonds), blanched, skinned and sliced
- 4 pista (pistachios), blanched, skinned and sliced
- Grind the soaked chana dal with as little water as possible until it forms a fine paste. Set aside.
- Dry-roast the safed til (sesame seeds) on low heat until they turn a shade brown and crisp. Transfer them a plate, let cool then grind fine. Set aside.
- Put the gur in a pan, add the water and heat on low-medium heat until the gur dissolves completely. Strain it through a sieve to remove the impurities and set aside.
- Put 3 tbsp desi ghee in a nonstick pan, keep heat on low and let it melt. Add the chana dal paste and mix until the dal absorbs all the ghee.
- Add the ground til and stir until it is well incorporated in the chana dal paste.
- Roast the chana dal paste on low heat until it turns a bit brown. This is a very important step. The amazing taste of the dish is totally dependent on the proper roasting of the chana dal. This can take 30 minutes or a bit more, so be patient. When you feel the chana dal is getting a bit dry, add 1 tbsp of desi ghee and carry on roasting. We added 3 more tbsps of desi ghee while roasting it.
- Add the cardamom powder and liquid gur. Raise the heat to medium and cook until the water dries up.
- Transfer the chana dal halwa to a bowl, garnish with sliced almonds and pistachios and serve hot.
Chana Dal Halwa (Chickpea Pudding) Recipe
© 2022 Rajan Singh Jolly