Mexican Recipe: How to Make Fideo con Carne y Papas
Guisado: Vermicelli with Beef and Potatoes
Fideo con carne y papas is a delicious and common meal in many Hispanic households. This recipe will serve 4 - 6 people for under $10.
- Fideo means vermicelli
- Carne means beef
- Papas means potatoes
There are a variety of ways to prepare fideo. You can make it soupier by adding more water or drier by adding less. There are a variety of ingredients one can add to fideo. This makes it a versatile dish for you and your family.
What is fideo?
Fideo is a macaroni-type pasta that originated in Spain. It is available long, like spaghetti, or boxed in one-inch lengths. Fideo is a nice substitute when a cook does not want to use rice or other forms of pasta. Fideo can be prepared with other foods or enjoyed alone.
Recipe: Fideo con Carne y Papas
- 1 pound stew meat
- 1 5 oz. box fideo (vermicelli)
- 1/2 medium onion
- 1 peeled potato
- garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- Add 1 tablespoon of canola oil to a skillet. Brown stew meat over medium to hugh heat.
- Add chopped onion over browned beef stew meat.
- Add peeled and cubed potato over beef stew meat and onions.
- Add one cube of beef bouillon to 2 cups of water. Bring to a boil in a microwave safe dish in the microwave. Brown fideo as it cooks.
- Add 1 tablespoon of canola oil to a 2nd skillet. Add one 5 oz. box of fideo (vermicelli). Stir fideo over medium heat until golden brown.
- Pour browned fideo over stew mixture.
- Pour beef stock over fideo and stew mixture. Bring the mixture to a boil, cover with a lid and let simmer on low for 10 minutes. The fideo will soak up the broth during this time.
- Serve your prepared fideo con carne y papas in soup bowl or dish. Enjoy!
Photo Tutorial: Fideo con Carne y PapasClick thumbnail to view full-size
There are a variety of meats you can use in fideo dishes.
- ground beef
- stew meat
Fideo can be eaten alone or with a variety of vegetables. Fideo is compatible with:
- a variety of peppers
- lima beans
- garbanzo beans
Broths can be varied when preparing fideo:
- beef broth
- chicken broth
- vegetable broth
- tomato sauce
Herbs and spices:
- cilantro sprigs
- bay leaf
- ground peppercorns
- Ladle fideo con carne y papas over a serving of refried beans.
Inexpensive cuts of beef can be tough and difficult to tenderize. Consider adding one teaspoon of white vinegar to stew meats. Vinegar helps marinade and tenderize the beef and makes it easier to cut and chew.
Budget-friendly family dishes under $10.
Fideo con Pollo Recipe (Vermicelli with Chicken) Fideo con pollo is also known as vermicelli with chicken. This dish is budget friendly and tasty.
Pechuga Monterrey Recipe (Chicken) Mexican food is delicious and economical. Pechuga Monterrey will delight your taste-buds with eye catching steamed veggies and melted colby-jack cheese.
© 2012 Marisa Hammond Olivares