Mexican Recipe: How to Make Fideo con Carne y Papas
Fideo con carne y papas is a delicious and common meal in many Hispanic households. This recipe will serve 4–6 people for under $10.
- Fideo means vermicelli.
- Carne means beef.
- Papas means potatoes.
What Is Fideo?
Fideo is a macaroni-type pasta that originated in Spain. It is available long, like spaghetti, or boxed in 1-inch lengths. Fideo is a nice substitute when a cook does not want to use rice or other forms of pasta. Fideo can be prepared with other foods or enjoyed alone.
There are a variety of ways to prepare fideo. You can make it soupier by adding more water or drier by adding less. There are also a variety of ingredients one can add to fideo. This makes it a versatile dish for you and your family.
- 1 pound stew meat
- 1 (5-ounce) box fideo (vermicelli)
- 1/2 medium onion
- 1 peeled potato
- garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- Add 1 tablespoon of canola oil to a skillet. Brown stew meat over medium to high heat.
- Add chopped onion over the browned beef stew meat.
- Add peeled and cubed potato over the beef stew meat and onions.
- Add one cube of beef bouillon to 2 cups of water. Bring to a boil in a microwave-safe dish in the microwave.
- Brown the fideo as the bouillon cooks: Add 1 tablespoon of canola oil to a second skillet. Add 1 (5-ounce) box of fideo (vermicelli). Stir fideo over medium heat until it's golden brown.
- Pour browned fideo over the stew mixture.
- Pour beef stock over the fideo and stew mixture. Bring the mixture to a boil, cover with a lid, and let simmer on low for 10 minutes. The fideo will soak up the broth during this time.
- Serve your prepared fideo con carne y papas in a soup bowl or dish. Enjoy!
Photo TutorialClick thumbnail to view full-size
Inexpensive cuts of beef can be tough and difficult to tenderize. Consider adding 1 teaspoon of white vinegar to stew meats. Vinegar helps marinade and tenderize the beef and makes it easier to cut and chew.
Fideo Options and Variations
There are a variety of meats you can use in fideo dishes.
- ground beef
- stew meat
Vegetables and Beans
Fideo can be eaten alone or with a variety of vegetables. Fideo is compatible with:
- a variety of peppers
- lima beans
- garbanzo beans
Broths can be varied when preparing fideo:
- beef broth
- chicken broth
- vegetable broth
- tomato sauce
Herbs and Spices
- cilantro sprigs
- bay leaf
- ground peppercorns
Ladle fideo con carne y papas over a serving of refried beans.
More Budget-Friendly Family Dishes Under $10
- Fideo con Pollo Recipe (Vermicelli with Chicken): Fideo con pollo is also known as vermicelli with chicken. This dish is budget-friendly and tasty.
- Pechuga Monterrey Recipe (Chicken): Mexican food is delicious and economical. Pechuga Monterrey will delight your taste-buds with eye-catching steamed veggies and melted Colby-Jack cheese.
© 2012 Marisa Hammond Olivares