Rajan writes to share his knowledge of health, yoga, pranayama, alternative therapies, natural remedies, food recipes, and more.
Chaas (or chhachh) is a popular Indian summer drink made with dahi or yoghurt. It is somewhat similar to lassi, although chaas is much thinner. Also, chaas is always salty, whereas lassi can be either sweet or salty.
Although chaas is also called buttermilk, it is not like the buttermilk you might be familiar with. It is not the liquid remaining after removing butter from the dahi.
Chaas cools the body, providing relief from the summer heat and humidity. It also helps keep the digestive system in order during the stressful summer months.
Read More From Delishably
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
- 1 1/2 glasses chilled water
- 1/2 cup dahi (yoghurt)
- 5-6 ice cubes
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp kala namak (black salt)
- 1/4 tsp roasted jeera (cumin seed powder)
- 1/4 tsp black pepper powder
- In a bowl or mixer, add the dahi, salt, spices, and chilled water. Blend till well mixed.
- Add the ice cubes and blend again for 10-15 seconds.
- Pour into glasses and garnish with a sprinkle of roasted jeera powder.
- Serve chilled.
Chaas (Buttermilk) Recipe
© 2020 Rajan Singh Jolly