Cooking is one of my passions. I like to make nutritious and tasty foods at home.
A Balanced Combination of Veggies and Spices
Wontons are delicious due to the balanced combination of veggies, spices, and the wrapper. Adding a dip on the side enhances the flavors, as well.
To make the stuffing, I used cabbage, carrots, French beans, green onions, minced ginger and garlic, and pepper powder. The wrapper is made with plain flour, corn flour, liquid butter, and a bit of salt.
You can use any vegetable of your choice to make the stuffing. However, I do recommend the combination in this recipe, as it tastes great.
These wontons are healthy because of the vegetables in the stuffing and because they are steamed, rather than fried. I do not use any oil in this recipe.
Serve these dumplings hot with a spicy garlic sauce or a sweet-spicy tomato ketchup. They are the perfect evening snack for the whole family.
Now on to the detailed recipe.
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
- 2 small cups +1 tsp all purpose flour or maida, for the dough and for binding the veggies
- 1 tsp butter, melted, for the dough
- 1/4 tsp salt, for the dough
- 2-3 tbsp corn flour, for the dough
- 2 tbsp chopped onions
- 1/4 inch ginger, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup carrots, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup capsicum, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup cabbage, shredded
- 1/4 cup french beans, finely chopped
- 1/4 tsp pepper powder
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- salt to taste
- 1/2 tsp soy sauce
- Begin by making the dough for the wonton wrappers: In a mixing bowl, add all-purpose flour, corn flour, melted butter, and salt. Dry-mix these ingredients.
- Next, add water little by little, and knead to get a smooth and firm dough.
- Cover the dough with a wet cloth or with a vessel. Set aside for 10 minutes.
- In the meanwhile, make the stuffing. Heat oil in a deep-bottomed pan. Add chopped onions, minced ginger, and minced garlic. Saute till onions become translucent.
- Now, add all the chopped veggies. Throw in some salt. Increase the heat. Stir-cook the veggies for a few minutes or until they become soft and yet retain crunchiness.
- In the final stages, you can sprinkle a few drops of water to keep it moist. Sprinkle some all-purpose flour on the veggies. Mix them well. Turn off the heat.
- You will observe that the veggies bind nicely. Set aside to cool.
- Now, divide the dough in small lemon-sized balls. Roll out a ball to make a small disc. Refer to the photo below.
- Place 1 teaspoon stuffing in the center of the disc. Fold it towards the opposite edge. Press on the edges of the filling, forming a small pouch. Now, pull the open ends and seal them. Observe that now the pouch is surrounded by the wrapper.
- Make all the wontons as described above.
- Place the wontons inside a steamer or cooker. Cover the lid. Don't place the weight. Steam cook for 9-10 minutes. Turn off the heat.
- Open the lid. Take the wontons out. Serve them hot with a spicy garlic sauce or mild-spicy tomato ketchup. Enjoy eating this delicious snack!