Ching's Secret Veg Hakka Noodles Recipe for Beginners
This is an easy-to-make stir-fry recipe with vegetables and a type of plain wheat noodles called Hakka noodles. This particular preparation is Indo-Chinese in origin, and it is made by tossing boiled Hakka noodles and stir-fried vegetables in a flavorful Chinese sauce. For this recipe, everything is cooked quickly on high heat in order to maintain the vegetables' crunchiness.
This dish is great with fried rice, chilli paneer, or any Indo-Chinese dish like baby corn Manchurian or gobi Manchurian.
For boiling the noodles:
- 2 packets Ching's Secret Veg Hakka Noodles
- 2 liters water
- 1 tbsp oil
For making the noodles:
- 3 tbsp oil
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 2 medium carrots, washed, peeled, and sliced
- 1 bell pepper, washed, deseeded, and sliced
- 250 grams cabbage, washed and shredded
- 1 1/2 tbsp red chilli sauce
- 1 1/2 tbsp green chilli sauce
- 2 tbsp tomato ketchup
- 2 tbsp soya sauce
- 1-2 tbsp vinegar
- 1 1/2 tsp + 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp red chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp black pepper powder
Note About Hakka Noodles
If you are not able to find Ching's Secret Veg Hakka Noodles in the shops near you, you can substitute any brand of Hakka noodles.
- To boil the noodles, add water to a large wok (kadhai) on high heat, add oil and heat until it comes to a boil. Add the Hakka noodles and boil until they are 75% cooked, stirring in between. This should take about 5 minutes.
- Strain out the water and wash the noodles under running water to cool them. Then let them sit to allow the water to drain out.
- In a wok (kadhai), add the oil and let it heat up. On medium-high heat, add the sliced onions and saute for about 2 minutes until light pink.
- Add the sliced carrots, bell pepper, and cabbage. Stir-cook until cooked but still crunchy, about 7-8 minutes.
- Add the red chilli sauce, green chilli sauce, tomato ketchup, soya sauce, and vinegar. Mix well. Add the salt, red chilli powder, and pepper powder. Mix well and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the boiled noodles and mix well. Check the salt and add, if needed. We added 1/2 tsp at this time. Mix well and transfer to a serving bowl.
Video: Ching's Secret Veg Hakka Noodles
© 2020 Rajan Singh Jolly