As a child, Edwin's mom told him, "If you want to eat, you should cook it yourself." And that's exactly what he's been doing ever since.
What Are Lenguas de Gato?
In Spanish, lenguas de gato means cat's tongue. But don't worry, these cookies are called that only because of their oblong shape!
These cookies are common in former Spanish colonies such as Latin America and the Philippines. When I was growing up in the Philippines, this cookie was one of my favorites, especially during the holidays.
Read More From Delishably
The cookies are a bit hard to describe; they're almost like a cross between a flat fortune cookie and a ladyfinger. The only way to find out for yourself is to try it out. There are also many variations. They're available readymade at Asian stores, but if you like to bake you can easily make them yourself at home. The recipe calls for basic ingredients such as flour, sugar, and butter, but in this particular case, we added chocolate.
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
- 3 teaspoons cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup butter
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 2 egg whites
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 375F degrees.
- Cream the butter with the sugar.
- In a separate bowl, beat the egg whites. Slowly add them to the butter and sugar.
- Mix in the flour and salt.
- Add the cocoa powder to the mixture.
- Place the mixture into a disposable plastic piping bag
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. Using the piping bag, form oblong cookies on the cookie sheet. You can vary the length anywhere from 2 inches to 4 inches, depending on your preference.
- Bake for 10 minutes. Allow to cool, then serve.
- Parchment paper alternative: Grease the cookie sheet instead of using parchment paper.
- A sprinkle of sugar: Sprinkle sugar or powdered sugar on top of the cookies before serving.
- Ube flavor: Add ube jam (purple yam jam, available at Asian stores), instead of cocoa powder, to the mixture to create ube cookies.
- Different designs: Experiment using different decorating tips using the piping bag to create an assortment of designs for your oblong cookies.