Cooking is one of my passions. I enjoy sharing recipes from my native Indian cuisine.
Cucumber Poha: Quick and Easy Breakfast
Cucumber is a tasty, crunchy, and hydrating vegetable that is low in calories and high in vitamins and minerals. Making cucumber poha is a brilliant way to incorporate this vegetable into your breakfast. This dish tastes great cold, too, so you can also pack it in your lunch box for a meal or snack later in the day.
In addition to cucumber and flattened rice (poha or avalakki), the recipe calls for peanuts, split chickpea, white lentils, green chilies, curry leaves, grated coconut, herbs and seasonings.
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
- 2 cups thick flattened rice (thick poha), sprinkled lightly with water
- 2 cups cucumber, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 green chilies, slit and cut lengthwise
- 2 tablespoons peanuts
- 1 tablespoon split chickpea
- 1 tablespoon white lentils (urad dal)
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 8-10 curry leaves
- 1/2 cup coconut, grated
- 1/2 cup coriander leaves, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 3 teaspoons oil
- Take an equal quantity of poha (thick flattened rice) and finely chopped peeled cucumber in different bowls. Sprinkle a few drops of water on the poha and mix with your fingers to make it slightly wet.
- Mix poha with the cucumber. Cover and set aside for 20-25 minutes.
- Heat oil in a deep bottomed pan. Throw in the mustard seeds and allow them to crackle. Add peanuts, split chickpea, white lentils, and curry leaves. Keeping the heat at medium-low, saute the mixture until the peanuts and split chickpea become crispy and golden brown (about 2 minutes).
- Throw in the green chilies. Continue to saute for a few seconds. Add poha-cucumber mixture and salt. Mix well.
- Add grated coconut and finely chopped coriander leaves. Mix well and simmer it for 1 minute. Turn off the heat. Your favorite cucumber poha is ready!
Enjoy cucumber poha for breakfast. This snack retains its crunchiness and freshness when cold, as well. Hence, you can pack it for the tiffin box.