I like to cook and eat natural, healthy, and tasty foods, and I enjoy sharing recipes from my native Indian cuisine.
A Delightful and Yummy Coconut Milk Dessert
Amrutha phala is a delicious Indian dessert that is made with coconut milk, milk, and sugar. "Amrutha" means "nectar of immortality." The recipe to make it is easy, and it takes just 45 minutes to prepare.
Coconut milk is a rich source of antioxidants and healthy fats. It helps to maintain the electrolyte balance in the body and may be helpful in protecting against heart diseases. The other main ingredient is cow's milk, which is a good source of essential nutrients. The calcium in milk helps to build healthy bones and teeth.
Because both coconut milk and cow's milk are naturally sweet, we don't need to add much sugar to this dessert.
Now, let me share with you the detailed recipe for this melt-in-your-mouth sweet.
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
- 1 big glass coconut milk
- 1 big glass cow's milk
- 3/4 big glass + 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3 or 4 cardamom pods, powdered
- 1/2 teaspoon ghee, to grease the plate in which you pour the hot dessert
- Grease a steel plate or rectangle tray with some ghee. Set it aside. This plate is for pouring the hot liquid dessert.
- In a deep-bottomed non-stick pan, add coconut milk, milk, powdered cardamom, and sugar. Mix well.
- Turn on the stove and cook the mixture at medium-high heat. Stir it often to prevent burning.
- When the mixture starts to thicken, reduce the heat to medium-low and stir continuously.
- The mixture should slowly change its color and texture, turning golden brown. At this point, reduce the heat to a minimum while stirring continuously to prevent scorching.
- When the mixture becomes completely porous, light, and comes out as a single lump leaving the bottom, pour it out onto the greased plate. Turn off the heat.
- There is no need to level the mixture; it will take the container's shape. Allow it to cool.
- After 5 minutes, but while the dessert is still hot, draw shallow criss-cross lines on it with a greased knife so that you can cut the lines later and separate the pieces.
- When it has cooled down more but is still warm, insert the knife along the lines and separate the pieces.
- Now, the dessert is ready to eat! Enjoy the heavenly taste of amrutha phala.
- Store it in an airtight container. It will remain fresh at room temperature for up to 15 days.
ShailaSheshadri (author) from Bengaluru on May 02, 2020:
Thanks, Farrah Young for dropping in. Yeah. Coconut and milk-based desserts are flavorful and delicious. The advantage is, this recipe is easy and needs only a few ingredients. Please do try it and relish it!
Farrah Young from Lagos, Nigeria on May 01, 2020:
This look delicious. The recipes are also quite easy to get. I should try this sometime.