Rajan writes to share his knowledge of health, yoga, pranayama, alternative therapies, natural remedies, food recipes, and more.
This is a basic Indian-style chicken curry recipe. While many regional variations exist, this one is one is prepared in the North Indian way.
Cooked in a gravy of fry-roasted and pureed onions, tomatoes, ginger-garlic paste, and spices with no added thickening agent like yogurt or cream, this chicken curry tastes no less delicious. Adjust the thickness of the curry by adjusting the water added at the end to get the desired consistency. Serve it with chapatis, the Indian flatbread, or plain rice.
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
1 hour 15 min
1 hour 30 min
Serves 3 to 4 people
- 500 grams bone-in chicken, cleaned, cut into pieces, and washed well
- 2 onions, sliced
- 1 bulb garlic cloves
- 4 medium-sized tomatoes, chopped
- 2 inches ginger, chopped
- 1 green chilli, chopped
- 3 tbsp desi ghee (clarified butter), or refined oil
- 1 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp deghi mirch (red chilli powder)
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- 1 1/2 tsp kasuri methi (dry fenugreek leaves)
- 2 tej patta (bay leaves)
- 1/2 tsp jeera (cumin seeds)
- 3 lavang (cloves)
- 1 moti elaichi (black cardamom), crushed
- 1 inch piece of cinnamon
- 3 tbsp fresh cream
- 3-4 tbsp hara dhania (cilantro)
- 500-600 ml water
- In a pan, add the chopped onions, tomatoes, garlic cloves, ginger, green chilli, tej patta, jeera, moti elaichi, dalchini, and lavang. Stir roast them over medium heat for 5-6 minutes. Remove and cool. Then grind to a fine puree.
- In the same pan, melt the desi ghee over medium heat. Add in the puree and stir roast for 15-20 minutes, until the puree is roasted nicely. You should be able to smell the aroma of the spices, and the desi ghee should separate out. Adjust heat as required.
- Reduce heat to low and add the salt, deghi mirch, turmeric powder, coriander powder, and kasuri methi. Stir roast the spices for 1 minute.
- Add in the chicken pieces and mix well. Stir roast the chicken for 10-12 minutes, but after 5 minutes add in the cream and carry on roasting.
- Raise heat to medium. Add the garam masala and hara dhania, saving a little for garnishing. Mix well then add in 500 ml of water. Mix well and let it come to a boil.
- Cover the pan with a lid. Keep checking every 5 minutes or so and stir well each time. Cook until the chicken is cooked well. Our chicken took 25 minutes to cook.
- Transfer to a serving bowl and garnish with the remaining hara dhania. Serve with roti or rice.
Easy Indian-Style Chicken Curry Recipe
© 2019 Rajan Singh Jolly