Shwetha Bhat is passionate about food and cooking. She loves to experiment in the kitchen and share her recipes.
About Aloo Methi (Potatoes With Fenugreek Leaves)
This is a delicious dry vegetable dish made with potato and fenugreek leaves and other minimal ingredients. This recipe is quite popular across India and is very unique in flavor and taste.
Fenugreek leaves are called methi in Hindi. These are nutritious leaves that are full of iron.
Potatoes and fenugreek leaves make a surprisingly wonderful combination—it's great for making curry or even paratha. This is a simple recipe that features the flavors of onion and garlic. You only need a few ingredients, but the taste is superb. You can't just stop at a single serving of this recipe.
This recipe goes well with roti and paratha and even with rice. It can also be served as a side dish with the main course.
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
Serves 2 people (3 potatoes and a bunch of leaves)
- 3 to 4 potatoes, boiled and mashed or cubed
- A bunch of fenugreek leaves, washed and finely chopped
- 1 to 2 onions, chopped or sliced
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 4 to 5 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- A pinch of asafoetida or hing
- 1 to 2 red chilies
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- Salt according to taste
- 2 to 3 teaspoons kasuri methi or dried fenugreek leaves
- 1/2 lemon (optional)
- Pressure-cook the potatoes for 2 to 3 whistles with a little salt. Cool them and peel the skin. Mash the potatoes coarsely. (You can even chop them into small cubes).
- Remove the leaves from the stems of the fenugreek leaves. Wash thoroughly and clean the leaves properly, then drain them in a colander.
- Finely chop the fenugreek leaves.
- Heat oil in a pan and add mustard seeds and cumin seeds. Let them crackle.
- Add finely chopped garlic cloves. Fry for a minute.
- Add onion and hing. Fry till brown.
- Add chopped fenugreek leaves. Stir and mix with all other ingredients.
- Add red chilies, turmeric powder and salt. Saute.
- Cook on a medium flame. The fenugreek leaves will start to release moisture; cook for 5 to 6 minutes till leaves are wilted and cooked.
- Add boiled potatoes. Mix well and cook till dry.
- Add dried fenugreek leaves (kasuri methi) for extra flavor.
- Sprinkle some lemon juice on the top (optional).
- Serve hot with rotis, parathas, rice, etc.
Read More From Delishably
Tips and Variations
- You can fry or saute the potatoes till they're crisp before using them. This will enhance the taste.
- The onions and hing in this recipe will reduce the strong flavor of methi which overpowers all the other ingredients.
- You can keep some whole fenugreek leaves and use them to garnish the dish. This gives it a fresh look.
- If you are using potato cubes without boiling them first, make sure you cook the potatoes fully. The dish should be dry at the end.
- You can also use baby potatoes for this recipe.
- If your fenugreek leaves are bitter, sprinkle some salt over the chopped leaves and let them rest for 10 to 15 minutes. Then squeeze the leaves; this will reduce the bitterness. This method also helps to remove any pesticide residue from the leaves.