Shwetha Bhat is passionate about food and cooking. She loves to experiment in the kitchen and share her recipes.
Quick and Easy Bhaji
Potato onion bhaji is a very easy and tasty side dish that can be made with just a few easily available ingredients. Delicious and filling, it pairs perfectly with poori, chapati and dosa.
It is also very healthy. Potatoes are a good source of fiber, antioxidants and vitamins; and onions are a rich source of antioxidants.
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
- 5 to 6 medium potatoes, cooked
- 2 teaspoons oil
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon chana dal (split bengal gram)
- 2 to 3 green chilies, or to taste
- 2-inches piece ginger, chopped
- 2 to 3 onions, sliced
- salt, to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 tomato, chopped (optional)
- 1 cup water, or as needed
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 cup coriander leaves, chopped
- Cook the potatoes in a cooker for 2-3 whistles or until well cooked. You can cook them in a vessel, too. Let the potatoes cool down.
- In a pan, heat oil and splutter the mustard seeds. Add chana dal and saute for a few seconds.
- Add chopped green chilies and ginge. Saute well till the lentils turn golden brown.
- Add sliced onions, a pinch of salt and turmeric powder. Saute well till the onion turns translucent or turns aromatic.
- Add chopped optional tomato and give a quick mix.
- Add water and mix. Close the lid and cook over medium flame for 5 minutes.
- After the potatoes cool down, peel off the skin and roughly break them into cubes or big chunks (but do not mash). Set aside.
- After the onions are well cooked, add cubed potatoes and salt to taste. Mix well (break big chunks of potatoes if any).
- Add a little water if you are serving this dish with poori. (No need to add water if serving with dosa or chapati.) Mix well. Add sugar and chopped coriander leaves. Mix well, close the lid and cook for 1 minute. Switch off the flame.
- Serve hot with poori, dosa or chapati. Enjoy.
Step-by-Step Photo Guide
Read More From Delishably
- Try to use good-quality potatoes because they are the key ingredient of this dish.
- The ginger helps counteract the gassy effect of potatoes.
- Adding tomato is optional.
- You can sprinkle a few drops of lemon juice at the end, if you wish.
- Increase or decrease the number of green chilies as per your taste.
- If you are preparing this dish for poori, make it a bit more watery and smooth. For chapati and dosa, keep it more dry.