I like to cook and eat natural, healthy, and tasty foods, and I enjoy sharing recipes from my native Indian cuisine.
Healthy and Easy
When I make tomato rice for my family, I feel happy because I know it is a healthy and satisfying dish that my loved ones will enjoy. Tomatoes are a great source of vitamins C and K, potassium, and folate. They also have antioxidant properties and may lower the risk of heart disease and some types of cancer. Not only is this dish healthy, but it's very easy to prepare, as well.
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
Read More From Delishably
- 1 1/2 cups basmati rice (or any other rice)
- 2 cups ripe tomato, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup onion, finely chopped
- 2 1/2 tbsp oil
- 1 green chili, finely chopped
- 1/4 tsp red chili powder
- 1/6 tsp black pepper powder (optional)
- 1/4 tsp garam masala powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin powder
- 1/4 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp ginger-garlic paste
- a fistful mint leaves, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp coriander leaves, finely chopped
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp lemon juice or tamarind juice
- 1/2 tsp sugar (optional, to balance taste)
- 2 tsp salt, or to taste
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 8 curry leaves
- 1/4 cup grated coconut
- Wash the rice two times. Drain it. Soak it in a cooker container for 30 minutes by adding 2 1/2 glasses of fresh water. Afterward, keep the container inside the pressure cooker. Heat the cooker. Cook the rice up to 1 whistle. Simmer it for 4 minutes. Turn off heat, and remove the cooker from the stovetop. Take the container out when the pressure releases completely and spread the rice on a plate to cool.
- In a thick-bottomed pan, add some oil. Heat it.
- Throw in the mustard seeds. Let them crackle. Add curry leaves. Mix once. Add chopped onion and green chili. Saute until onion turns transparent and golden brown.
- Pour in the chopped tomatoes. Let the flame be medium-high. Saute until the tomatoes become mushy and paste-like, and the mixture starts showing oil at the borders. Cover the pan to quicken the process. This process may take about 8 minutes on high flame.
- Add red chili powder, garam masala powder, turmeric powder, pepper powder, cumin powder, coriander powder, mint, coriander leaves, sugar, lemon/tamarind juice, and ginger-garlic paste. Lower the heat. Add salt. Mix for 1 minute.
- Add the rice and grated coconut to the pan. Gently mix. Check for salt. Add more salt if needed. Remove from the stove after simmering for 2 minutes. Keep the pan covered.
- Serve tomato rice hot with cucumber-onion raita or salad.
- If you are not using pepper powder, increase the quantity of the red chili powder.
- Tomato rice tastes good even if it is not hot.
- You can eat tomato rice with yogurt on the side.