Cooking is one of my passions. I enjoy sharing recipes from my native Indian cuisine.
Simple and Healthy Spinach Pancakes
Spinach paratha (palak paratha) is unique due to its stuffing: raw spinach and spices. You can make these parathas quickly and easily because you need not cook the stuffing before filling.
Serve them hot with a mild spicy curry or tomato sauce for breakfast or brunch. Enjoy the protein-rich and delicious spinach parathas!
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
- 2 cups wheat flour
- 1 cup chickpea flour (besan)
- 3 cups spinach, washed, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ginger, grated
- 1 teaspoon carom seeds
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon oil or ghee, for cooking each paratha
- 1 teaspoon oil, for making the dough
- Making the dough: Add wheat flour to a mixing bowl. Add oil and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Mix well. While adding water little by little, knead it to get a firm and pliable dough. Cover it and rest for 15 minutes.
- Make the stuffing: Gently mix the chopped spinach leaves, grated ginger, red chili powder, and carom seeds. Set aside.
- After the dough has rested for 15 minutes, gently knead the dough once again. Divide the dough into many lemon-sized portions. Make a patty with each of the portions. Roll one of the patties to get a 4-inch diameter disc. Spread some chickpea flour on it as well as a bit of salt.
- Place a fistful of spinach leaf mixture in the center of the disc. Add some chickpea flour over it. Fold the edges towards the center and seal them in the top. Gently press to get a patty. While dusting with wheat flour, roll it to get a 6-7-inch disc.
- Heat a pan and add some oil. Place the disc on it. Roast it on both sides until the raw paratha is cooked and has golden brown streaks all over. Once done, remove it and place it on a serving plate.
- Cook the remaining parathas in the same way.
- Serve with mild spicy curry or tomato sauce. Enjoy eating these nutritious flatbreads for breakfast, brunch, or dinner!
ShailaSheshadri (author) from Bengaluru on August 17, 2021:
Thanks, Peggy W, for your inspiring comment. I expect your continued support. Try this recipe.
Peggy Woods from Houston, Texas on August 17, 2021:
Your spinach paratha (pancake) looks delicious. I know that I would enjoy all of those flavors. Thanks for your recipe and easy step-by-step directions.