Easy Tomato Curry Recipe
This Tomato Curry Will Tickle Your Tastebuds!
Tomatoes are different from other vegetables and fruits. They can be sour, yet they blend very well with spices and other veggies. To balance their taste, you should always use a bit of jaggery or sugar in tomato recipes.
Tomatoes are packed with nutrients and vitamins. They boost your immune system. They have vitamins A, C, K, and B6, plus minerals. Include them in your diet to get their many health benefits. Always select ripe, red tomatoes.
I used four tomatoes to make this curry for three people. The addition of freshly chopped ginger, garlic, and onions, along with the spices, gives this dish a delightful crunchiness and a mouthwatering aroma.
Let me now show you how to make this tangy and delicious tomato curry.
- 4 ripe, red tomatoes, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 inch ginger, finely chopped
- Pinch of hing (asafetida powder)
- Pinch of turmeric powder
- 1/4 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 8 curry leaves
- 2 teaspoons or a little more oil
- 1/2 teaspoon or less sugar, to balance the sourness
- Salt, to taste
- 2 dry red chilies, broken
- 2 to 3 tablespoons chopped onions
- Heat the oil in a deep bottomed pan. Throw in the mustard seeds. Let them crackle. Add the broken red chilies and curry leaves. Saute for 5 seconds.
- Add the chopped ginger, garlic, onions, and hing powder. Continue sauteing till onions become golden. Lower the heat.
- Add the turmeric powder, red chili powder, and coriander powder. Saute for 5 seconds.
- Throw in the chopped tomatoes. Add salt and sugar. Increase the heat. Mix well. Cover the pan and cook, stirring at intervals. Add some water to keep it wet. Cook the tomatoes till they become mushy.
- Turn off the fire. Transfer the curry into a serving dish. Your tomato curry is ready to serve.
- Eat flatbreads, rotis, or rice with this mouthwatering, tangy, spicy, and aromatic curry. Enjoy!
Photo GuideClick thumbnail to view full-size
|Serving size: 1|
|Calories from Fat||54|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 6 g||9%|
|Saturated fat 0 g|
|Carbohydrates 7 g||2%|
|Sugar 0 g|
|Fiber 2 g||8%|
|Protein 1 g||2%|
|Cholesterol 0 mg|
|Sodium 48 mg||2%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|