Quick and Easy Crispy Gobi (Cauliflower) Manchurian Recipe
Gobi (cauliflower) Manchurian is a popular Indo-Chinese dish and street food that can be served as a snack, a starter, or as a side dish to a meal. It is pretty simple to make, and everyone will love its spicy-sweet taste and crunchy texture.
This dish can be prepared both dry and with gravy, but the dry variant is generally preferred. This recipe is for the dry variation.
- Oil for frying
- 2 tablespoons oil for the sauce
- 500 grams cauliflower, chopped into medium-sized florets and washed
- 2 spring onions, chopped along with the leaves
- 1 bell pepper, deseeded and cut into medium-sized cubes
- 2 green chilies, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons dark soya sauce
- 1 tablespoon green chili sauce
- 1 tablespoon red chili sauce
- 1 tablespoon tomato ketchup
- 3 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
- 3/4 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon ginger-garlic paste, for the coating
- 1 tablespoon ginger-garlic paste, for the sauce
- 6 tablespoons arrowroot powder, for the coating
- 1 tablespoon arrowroot powder, for the sauce
- In a large bowl, add 6 tablespoons arrowroot, 1 tablespoon ginger-garlic paste, the chopped green chilies, and the salt. Mix well.
- Add the cauliflower florets to the bowl and mix well. Then add a little water and mix until the florets are well-coated with the mixture. Set aside and let this rest for 5 minutes.
- Heat the oil in a pan over medium heat. When hot, fry the florets on low-medium heat until golden and crisp. Remove and set aside.
- Prepare the sauce now. Put 2 tablespoons of the hot oil in a kadahi. Add 1 tablespoon of ginger-garlic paste. Keep the heat on medium and saute until its raw taste goes away (about 1 minute).
- Add the chopped spring onions and bell pepper. Saute for 1 to 2 minutes, ensuring that the veggies retain their crunch.
- Add the soya sauce, tomato ketchup, red chili sauce, and green chili sauce. Mix well.
- Add the cilantro and mix. Then add the arrowroot-water mixture and keep stirring until it thickens and comes to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to low. Add the fried cauliflower and mix well until all the florets are well-coated with the sauce.
- Dish out and serve.
© 2018 Rajan Singh Jolly