I worked as a banker for 17 years. I love staying fit and cooking tasty and healthy meals. I don't use artificial colors and preservatives.
Murmura chivda is a spicy puffed rice snack made from puffed rice, fried peanuts, chopped dry coconut, fried gram, and spices. This snack is delicious, low in calories, and easy to make. Try it today!
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
One big jar full of spicy puffed rice
Read More From Delishably
- 1 big bowl puffed rice
- 1/2 cup peanuts
- 1/4 cup dry coconut, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup fried gram (hurigadale)
- 1/2 cup curry leaves
- 2 broken red chilies
- 3/4 tsp red chili powder
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 3-4 tbsp oil
- 1/2 tsp salt, or to taste
- 1/2 tsp sugar powder (optional, to balance the taste)
- Heat 3 tablespoons of oil in a deep-bottomed pan. Add mustard seeds and let them pop up. Add peanuts. Saute till they become crispy. This may take about 2-3 minutes over low fire.
- Add curry leaves, broken red chilies, and cashew nuts. Fry till cashew nuts change to a golden color. Transfer this mixture to a bowl and set aside.
- In the same pan, add slit green chilies and crushed garlic. Saute them in the remaining oil for 1 minute. Add fried gram, red chili powder, hing powder, and turmeric powder. Saute for a while over very low fire.
- Now add the contents that you have collected in the bowl. Add puffed rice and salt. Mix thoroughly so that the seasonings and the spices combine well with the puffed rice. Stir the mix over very low fire for 2 minutes. Turn off the fire.
- Continue stirring the mix for a while to prevent burning on the bottom; then allow it cool. Add sugar or sugar powder once it cools down. Adding sugar is just to balance the taste.
- Spicy puffed rice or murmura chivda is ready to munch! Enjoy this low-calorie snack any time as a snack or serve it with a cup of hot coffee or tea.