Rajan loves cooking dishes from his native Indian cuisine. He enjoys sharing his favourite recipes with his online readers.
Vegan Egg Scramble: No Eggs or Tofu
This vegan egg scramble doesn't contain any eggs—nor does it contain the usual tofu. It is prepared using besan, or chickpea flour. It has an egg scramble–like texture and tastes very much like eggs. Himalayan pink salt plays a big part in imparting the eggy flavour to this scramble, so I do not recommend skipping this ingredient.
If you would like to have an eggless egg scramble without tofu try this recipe. I think you will like it!
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
Read More From Delishably
For the batter:
- 1 cup / 100 grams besan (chickpea flour)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- as needed as needed, as needed
For the scramble:
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil, plus more as needed
- 2 chopped green chillies
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- 1/4 tsp kala namak (black salt)
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp kashmiri red chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 pouch maggi magic masala
- 2 tbsp chopped hara dhania (cilantro)
- In a mixing bowl combine the besan, baking powder and salt. Mix well. Add water little by little and prepare a slightly flowing-consistency batter. Set aside.
- Keep a nonstick pan on low-medium heat. Add oil and let it get hot. Add the green chillies and onion. Raise the heat to medium and saute until the onion turns translucent.
- Add in the tomato and stir-cook until it is soft and mushy.
- Reduce the heat to low and add the dry spices. Stir-roast for 1 minute and then move the masala to one half of the pan.
- Add 1/3 of the prepared batter to the empty half of the pan. Let it cook for 15-20 seconds; then mix it well with the masala. Repeat this process two more times with the remaining batter.
- As the batter starts firming up, break it up into small bits with the ladle. Cook the bits until the raw taste goes away.
- Vegan egg scramble is ready. Serve hot with roti or bread.
© 2022 Rajan Singh Jolly