My name is Lakshmi, and I am a homemaker. I love cooking and experimenting with different recipes.
Indian Seafood Dish
Eral thokku is my favorite seafood recipe. Its incomparable taste and aroma will make you forget all of your troubles. This recipe is easy and quick to make, and it calls for very few ingredients. Moreover, prawns are rich in zinc and antioxidants, which help boost immunity.
- Do not cook the prawns for more than 5 minutes, or else they will harden.
- If you cannot find kuzhambu milagai thool in your local market, you can substitute chilly powder and coriander powder, as per your taste.
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
4 to 5 servings
- 3 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 teaspoon mustard
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium tomato, finely chopped
- 30 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
- Handful of curry leaves
- 1 tablespoon ginger-garlic paste
- Pinch of turmeric
- 3 tablespoons kuzhambu chilly masala powder
- 500 grams prawns, cleaned
- Salt, to taste
- Marinate the prawns in turmeric, salt, and ginger-garlic paste for 30 minutes before cooking.
- Heat the oil in a pan and add mustard seeds. Once they start to splutter, add the garlic, onions, and curry leaves. Saute until the onions become glossy, then add the tomatoes and saute again until the tomatoes become mushy.
- Add the kuzhambu chilly masala powder with a small amount of water. Cook for 5 minutes over medium heat.
- Once the oil separates from the gravy, add the marinated prawns and saute well.
- Once the raw smell of the ginger-garlic paste dissipates, remove from heat and transfer the gravy to a serving dish. Serve with hot rice, dosa, or chapathi.
Lakshmi (author) from Chennai on September 21, 2020:
Hi Danny,Thank you for your comment ,do try and let me know how it tastes like ,definitely you will enjoy it .
Danny from India on September 21, 2020:
Lakshmi, this looks so tangy and delicious. I have to try your recipe. I always fry prawns and have it , the smaller ones.