Cooking is one of my passions. I like to make nutritious and tasty foods at home without using preservatives or artificial colors.
I always like to use fresh fenugreek leaves with fresh peas. They pair well with rice dishes. This fenugreek (methi) leaf rice is naturally flavored with fenugreek leaves, garlic, black peppercorns, and cumin seeds.
Fenugreek is a good source of fiber. It also contains folic acid, vitamins, calcium, protein, and minerals. It is low-calorie and low-fat. This veggie has a special aroma that is truly appetizing.
Fresh peas are also a good source of protein, dietary fiber, vitamins, and minerals. These green, pearly looking legumes are soft when cooked. They enhance the taste and look of the dish.
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
Serves four people
- 1 cup rice, washed, cooked al dente
- 1/4 cup fresh peas or frozen green peas
- 1 teaspoon black pepper corns
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds, crushed
- 3-4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 green chilies, slit, cut lengthwise
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 cups fenugreek leaves, washed, pat dried, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or as per taste
- 8 curry leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 2-3 teaspoon oil
- Wash rice. Cook it al dente. Spread it on a plate for cooling.
- Heat oil in a deep-bottomed pan or wok. Throw in mustard seeds. Let them splutter.
- Add curry leaves, slit green chilies, minced garlic, crushed peppercorns, and crushed cumin seeds. Saute on a low heat for a minute. Now, you get a nice aroma of roasted garlic, cumin, and peppercorns.
- Throw in fresh peas. Add some salt. Mix well. Increase the heat a little. Saute for 3 minutes.
- Add chopped fenugreek leaves. Continue sauteing for 4-5 minutes or till fenugreek leaves completely wilt and get cooked.
- Add cooked rice. Gently mix it with the other contents in the pan. Add remaining salt.
- Throw in grated coconut and lemon juice. Mix well. Simmer for a minute. Turn off the stove.
- Your favorite fenugreek leaf rice (methi rice) is ready!
- Enjoy eating this flavorful rice. You can also carry this healthy and guilt-free dish in your lunch box for school, office, or picnic.