Is It Meatloaf or a Sausage?
Pork embutido is a Filipino version of meatloaf. I remember my mom making this dish for special occasions, such as Christmas. Unlike a typical meatloaf, however, this dish is unique because it only uses pork and has a filling in the middle. It looks a bit like a sausage without the casing.
Regardless of the correct category, there's no debate that this dish is a favorite among Filipinos. It's not too difficult to make, and I hope it becomes one of your favorites, too.
There are many variations of this dish. You can add whatever ingredients you want, as it's very versatile. So try it out, modify it, and make it your own.
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
1 hour 30 min
Serves 6–8 people
For the Meatloaf:
- 1 onion, minced
- 1 pound pork, ground
- 1 carrot, minced
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup red bell pepper, minced
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon black pepper, ground
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
For the Filling:
- 3 hot dogs
- 3 hard-boiled eggs, sliced lengthwise
- Combine the meatloaf ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
- Place the meat mixture on a 12-inch piece of aluminum foil.
- Flatten the mixture to form a rectangle, but leave at least 1 inch from the sides of the aluminum foil.
- Place the filling (hot dogs and sliced eggs) along the center of the pork mixture.
- Roll the foil to form a log or cylinder, ensuring the hot dogs and eggs stay in the center.
- Wrap the foil around the meatloaf and crimp both ends of the foil to seal the meat inside.
- Place the wrapped meatloaf in a steamer and cook for 1 hour.
- When cooled, place in the refrigerator overnight. This prevents the embutido from falling apart when you slice it.
- When you are ready to serve, slice the embutido and fry the slices on medium-high heat to brown quickly. Serve with ketchup or Filipino banana sauce.
Alternatives and Variations
- Instead of using tomato sauce in the pork mixture, you can use tomato ketchup. You can also use banana sauce, which is the Filipino version of ketchup. This is available in Asian grocery stores.
- Green bell peppers can be used instead of, or in addition to, red bell peppers.
- You can also bake the embutido instead of steaming it. Place it in a roasting pan filled with water, and bake it at 375°F for one hour in the oven.