I like to cook and eat natural, healthy, and tasty foods. I use minimal oil and don't use artificial colors or preservatives in my cooking.
Delicious and Healthy
A gluten-free whole grain, finger millet (ragi) is a rich source of fiber, calcium, good carbs, amino acids, and vitamin D. This grain is known to have a soothing effect on the gut, and it helps to cool the body in summer.
Though finger millet is not so tasty on its own, its incorporation into a spicy side dish makes it pleasant to eat. As these idlis are filling, only three or four are needed per person. Serve them for breakfast or dinner with a spicy coconut chutney or Indian sambar.
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
- 1 cup ragi flour (finger millet flour)
- 1 cup semolina (rava)
- 1 1/2 cups thick curd or yogurt
- 1/2 teaspoon Eno fruit salt or cooking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon oil or ghee, for greasing the idli mould
- In a large mixing bowl, add ragi flour, semolina, and salt. Mix well.
- Add yogurt or thick curd. Gently mix. Add water as needed to get the idli batter consistency. Cover and set aside for 5 minutes.
- Grease idli moulds with ghee or oil. Keep the cooker or steamer ready for making idlis.
- Mix the batter once again and add water if needed to get the right consistency. Mix well.
- Add Eno fruit salt or cooking soda. Gently mix it with the batter. You should see the batter increase in volume.
- Quickly add 2 or 3 tablespoons of batter into each idli mould. Arrange the idli stand and keep it inside the steamer or cooker. If you are using a pressure cooker, don't use the weight.
- Cook for 12-13 minutes over medium-high heat. Turn off the heat and allow it to rest for 2 minutes.
- Open the steamer lid and take out the idli stand. Spread the idli moulds to cool.
- After 5-6 minutes, run a spoon handle or knife around the idli moulds and take out the idlis.
- Store the idlis in a closed container. Serve ragi idli hot with Indian sambar or spicy coconut chutney.
- Enjoy for breakfast or dinner and reap the health benefits!