Fresh Homemade Indian-Style Tomato Ketchup Recipe
This homemade Indian-style tomato ketchup is easy to make, and it's free of chemical preservatives and artificial colours. It tastes so much better than store-bought.
Do try it and share your experience in the comments section below.
- 1 kg tomatoes, washed and chopped
- 100 grams chopped onions
- 100 grams ginger paste
- 50 grams garlic cloves
- 100 grams sugar
- 10 grams red chilli powder
- 10 grams garam masala (coriander powder free)
- 20 grams salt
- 250 grams + 100 grams water
- In a pressure cooker, add the tomatoes, onions, garlic, ginger paste, and water. Boil for 10 minutes after the first whistle on low heat.
- When the pressure eases, mash the mixture with a hand masher; then strain through a colander and discard the solid waste.
- Keep the pulp to cook on medium heat. Stir it from time to time while we make the sat (extract) of the garam masala and red chilli powder now in a traditional way.
- Keep a saucepan on medium heat. Add 100 ml water, garam masala, and red chilli powder. Heat it until it comes to a boil, then reduce heat to low and let simmer for 40-45 seconds. Strain out the water.
- When the tomato pulp comes to a boil, add the sugar and give a nice stir.
- Add the extract to the tomato pulp and cook till it becomes thick. Stir regularly in between and keep the heat on medium.
- Blend the pulp with a hand blender till very smooth and then cook it till it is nice and thick. Keep the heat around low-medium.
- Do a plate test to check if there is any extra water remaining in the tomato sauce.
- When done, remove from heat and allow it to cool. Pour the ketchup into a clean dry bottle and store in the fridge.
Fresh Tomato Ketchup Recipe Homemade
© 2020 Rajan Singh Jolly