Rajan loves cooking dishes from his native Indian cuisine. He likes to share his favourite recipes with his online readers.
Punjabi-Style Sweet and Sour Pickle
In India, winter is the traditional season to prepare mixed vegetable pickles that will last the duration of the upcoming year. To make these pickles we use the fresh seasonal vegetables like carrots, cauliflower and turnips which flood the markets this time of year.
This delicious and healthy pickle is prepared in the authentic North-Indian Punjabi style. Do try it and share your experience.
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
2 hours 30 min
- 1 kg gajar (carrots)
- 1 kg gobhi (cauliflower)
- 1 kg shalgam (turnips)
- 1/2 kg gur (jaggery)
- 500 ml sarson ka tel (mustard oil)
- 300 ml white vinegar
- 150 grams grated garlic
- 150 grams grated ginger
- 100 grams rai (mustard seeds), ground
- 30 grams turmeric powder
- 20 grams red chilli powder
- 30 grams garam masala (make sure it is free of coriander powder)
- 150 grams salt
- Wash, peel and chop the vegetables.
- In a stainless steel pot, add jaggery and vinegar. Heat the mixture till it dissolves completely. Once it dissolves, take the mixture off the heat and allow it to cool down completely.
- In another stainless steel pot heat the mustard oil until it smokes.
- Add the grated ginger and garlic and fry till they are roasted medium brown.
- In a bowl, mix all the spices and salt thoroughly.
- To the roasted ginger garlic add the vegetables and spices in batches alternately and mix thoroughly.
- Cook the vegetables on medium heat for 5-7 minutes but do not allow them to get soft. Then allow them to cool down fully.
- Strain out the cooled vinegar-jaggery mixture over the cooled vegetables and mix well. Let them sit for 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
- Remove the vegetables and heat the liquid mixture till all the water dries up. Allow to cool down completely.
- Now add the vegetables to the cooled liquid mixture and mix well.
- Our gajar gobi shalgam pickle is ready. Fill a jar with the mixture and cap it tightly.
- Expose the jar to sunlight for the next 8-10 days, shaking it once every morning.
- After 8-10 days, the mixed vegetable sweet and sour pickle is ready to eat.
Gajar Gobhi Shalgam ka Khatta Meetha Achar (Carrot, Cauliflower and Turnip Sweet & Sour Pickle)
© 2020 Rajan Singh Jolly