Margarita worked as an administrative assistant. For the past 10 years, she has been creating her own recipes with great success!
What Is Galaktoboureko?
Galaktoboureko is a traditional Greek dessert that is made with layers of golden brown crispy pastry filled with creamy semolina custard and bathed in scented syrup. This sweet delight is easy to make.
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
For the custard:
- 1 cup fine semolina
- 1200 grams milk
- 5 eggs
- 1/2 cup sugar (crystal white)
- 3 tablespoons fresh cow's butter
- 2 capsules vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
For the syrup:
- 3 cups sugar (crystal white)
- 2 cups water
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/2 lemon, juice and peel
- 1 stick cinnamon
For the pastry:
- 225 grams phyllo pastry sheets for syrupy desserts
- 100 grams melted fresh cow's butter
- Make the syrup: Add all syrup ingredients in a pot and let it boil for about 10 minutes without stirring. When it becomes golden and a bit thick, remove it from the stove, remove the cinnamon stick and lemon peels, and let it cool down.
- Make the semolina custard: In a pot, add the milk, sugar and vanilla capsules. Bring it to a boil. When it starts boiling, rinse the semolina and stir it in quickly until it becomes thick and creamy. Then take it off the stove, continue stirring and slowly add the beaten eggs, butter and lemon zest. Leave it to cool down and stir every now and so that a crust does not form on top.
- Melt 100 grams butter. Use some of the butter to grease a pan (24x34cm). Use more of the butter to brush every phyllo sheet. Arrange 3 sheets of phyllo on the bottom of the pan, then add the semolina custard and then place the remaining 3 phyllo sheets on top. Carve into square pieces, add the remaining melted butter and sprinkle with water. Bake about 40 minutes at 180 degrees.
- After it's baked, add the syrup on top.
Galaktoboureko (Greek Semolina Custard Pie)
© 2020 Margarita Iliadis