Ganne Ke Ras Ki Kheer (Sugarcane Juice Pudding) Recipe
Gaane ka ras is sugarcane juice, and kheer is a type of North-Indian pudding. This dish is, therefore, is a sugarcane juice rice pudding. It is a traditional Punjabi dessert that is prepared in the winter season, especially on the occasion of the Lohri and Makarsankranti festivals.
Try this delicious and healthy dessert, and share your experience in the comments section below.
- 750 ml ganne ka ras (sugarcane juice), free of additives like lemon juice, ginger or mint
- 50 grams rice, soaked in water for 15 minutes
- 2 tbsp peanuts, roasted, skinned, and split
- 2-3 tbsp milk
- In a non-stick pan, heat the sugarcane juice on high heat until it comes to a simmer.
- Reduce heat to medium and add in the milk, stirring a few times to mix. Skim out the scum that floats to the top until the sugarcane juice is lighter in color and scum-free.
- Add in the soaked rice and stir a few times. Raise heat to low-medium until the juice comes to a simmer.
- Reduce heat to low and cover with a lid. After 4-5 minutes, lift the lid and give a stir. Cook covered for another 5-6 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, remove the lid and add in the peanuts. Stir well and let the rice cook in the sugarcane juice until it gets cooked completely.
- Raise heat to medium and cook until the juice almost dries up. Stir continuously once the kheer (pudding) thickens.
- Remove and serve hot.
Ganne Ke Ras Ki Kheer (Sugarcane Juice Rice Pudding) Recipe
© 2019 Rajan Singh Jolly