Rajan loves cooking dishes from his native Indian cuisine. He enjoys sharing his favourite recipes with his online readers.
North Indian Curry Recipe
Gawar, or cluster beans, are a rich source of dietary fibre. Today we are preparing a North Indian curry with cluster beans and potatoes. It is a pretty simple dish to prepare that calls for just a few ingredients. Try it and share your experience.
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
Read More From Delishably
- 250 grams gawar phali (cluster beans)
- 2 cups water, for boiling the gawar
- 2 medium potatoes, sliced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tbsp cold pressed virgin sarson ka tel (mustard oil)
- 1/4 tsp heeng (asafoetida powder)
- 1/2 tsp jeera (cumin seeds)
- 6-7 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 green chilli, chopped
- 1 medium tomato, chopped fine
- 1 tsp salt, or to taste
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/4 tsp red chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- 2-3 tbsp hara dhania (cilantro), chopped
- Boil the cluster beans in water on low-medium heat until they are about 80% cooked. Strain out the water, destring the beans and chop them into medium-sized pieces. Set aside.
- Keep a pan on medium heat and add in the mustard oil. Let it heat up, then add the heeng and jeera. Let the jeera crackle.
- Add the chopped onion. Raise the heat to medium and stir a few times, then add the chopped garlic and green chilli. Saute until the onion turns light brown.
- Add the chopped tomato and mix well. Add the salt, coriander powder, turmeric powder, red chilli powder and garam masala. Stir to mix and cook until the tomatoes are soft and the oil starts separating out. Keep the heat on low-medium.
- Add the sliced potatoes and mix well. Cook the potatoes until they are about 80% cooked.
- Add the boiled cluster beans and cilantro and mix well. Cover the pan with a lid and cook until the beans and the potatoes are fully cooked. Check on them a few times while they are cooking. Keep the heat on low.
- Transfer the dish to a serving bowl and serve with roti, paratha or rice.
Gawar Aloo Ki Bhaji (Cluster Beans and Potato Curry) Recipe
© 2022 Rajan Singh Jolly