Supriya is a homemaker who is passionate about cooking. She loves to share her recipes with the world.
How to Make Ghee (Clarified Butter)
Homemade ghee, or clarified butter, is very easy to make but it does take a few steps. We start with full-fat cow's milk, which we boil and then keep in the refrigerator overnight. In the morning, a thick milk cream (malai) will have formed, which needs to be strained and stored in a container for a week. After a week, you will have butter—and the final step is to extract the clarified butter.
Ghee can also be made from buffalo's milk.
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
- 2 cups full-fat milk
- 1 cup cold water
- 1-2 Ice cubes
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
Step 1: Prepare the Milk Cream
- Take the milk and boil it. Let it cool and leave it in the refrigerator overnight. In the morning, you will see that a thick cream has formed over the milk.
- Collect the milk cream in a container, preferably one that is made of steel or glass. Continue making and collecting the milk cream on a daily basis till you have enough milk cream (10-15 days). Store the milk cream in the refrigerator, so that it does not spoil.
Step 2: Make Butter From the Milk Cream
- Transfer all of the collected milk cream into another container.
- Add 1-2 cubes of ice and churn well continuously while adding water. You can also use an electric whisk.
- You will start to see the cream separate into solid blobs (butter) and milky water (buttermilk). Collect all the blobs of butter with your hand.
Step 3: Make Ghee From the Butter
- Take a deep pan and add all the butter. Turn on the flame.
- Once the butter starts melting, turn the flame on medium while stirring occasionally.
- Soon you will see clear bubbles forming, and it will start giving an aromatic smell.
- Heat till the entire residue turns to a golden transparent liquid. This will ensure that there is no moisture content in the ghee. Turn off the flame, let it cool for few minutes, then sieve into clean and dry glass container.
- Ghee can be kept at room temperature.
How to Make Cottage Cheese From the Buttermilk
- In a pan, add the leftover buttermilk and add 2 teaspoons of lemon juice.
- Let it boil. When it starts separating water and cheese, turn off the flame.
- Drain and squeeze the chenna (milk solid) well. Use a muslin cloth to collect the cheese.
- Ensure there is no excess water in the milk solids before you store it.
- Hang the cheese for 15 minutes to drain out well.
- If you don’t want to prepare ghee from the butter, just rinse the blob of butter in running water and put it in the refrigerator for 2-3 hours. Now add some salt, stir it with spatula, and store it in the refrigerator.
- The leftover buttermilk can be used for making cheese or for baking. It can also be used to marinate meat.
© 2020 Supriyasharma
Rashmi on May 23, 2020:
So many varieties butter, buttermilk, cottage cheese and clarified butter using millk cream.. Thanks for the tip!
Ankesh Singh from Kuala Lumpur on May 23, 2020:
Great way to make pure Ghee by using milk cream... Thanks!