Cooking is one of my passions. I like to make nutritious and tasty foods at home without using preservatives and artificial colors.
Ginger, Garlic, and Yogurt: Health Benefits
Ginger is aromatic, pungent, and a bit spicy. It adds a special flavor and zest to any dish it's used in. It has very few calories, is a good source of antioxidants, and has a powerful bioactive compound called gingerol. This rhizome aids digestion, reduces nausea, and help fight the common cold and flu, just to name a few benefits.
Garlic is a magical spice that has powerful medicinal properties. Roasted garlic has a captivating smell and flavor that acts as a flavor booster in many curries and beverages. This spice is anti-bacterial and anti-fungal. Garlic is enriched with protein, vitamins, iron, and minerals.
The third major component of this drink is yogurt, or curds. Like all dairy products, yogurt is a good source of animal protein.
Making this beverage is very easy; I prepared it in just 10 minutes. It is a mildly spicy drink that you can serve as a beverage or a side dish with plain rice.
This drink is also known to reduce gas, improve digestion, and induce appetite.
Read More From Delishably
Now, let me share the detailed recipe with you.
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
- 6 garlic cloves
- 1/2 inch ginger, roughly chopped
- 1 dry red chili (less hot variety), use one more chili if you want to use this as a side dish.
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon clarified butter (ghee) or butter, for sauteing
- 3 cups yogurt or curds
- 2 cups water
- 2–3 tablespoons grated coconut (optional)
For the tempering (make this only if serving as a side dish):
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 6 curry leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon ghee
- Heat 1/2 teaspoon ghee or butter in a small pan. Add cumin seeds. Let them sizzle.
- Throw in chopped ginger, garlic, and broken red chili. Saute for 1 minute or a few more seconds. Turn off the heat.
- Transfer it to a mixer or blender. Add grated coconut, salt, and some yogurt. Grind together to get a smooth liquid.
- Pour it to a bowl. Add remaining yogurt or curds. Add water. Mix well. Your favorite ginger-garlic drink is ready!
- You can use it as a beverage straight away. Many people store it in a refrigerator to drink it chilled.
- If you want to use this drink as a side dish, add one more dry red chili while sauteing ginger and garlic. Adding a simple tempering enhances its taste as a side dish.
- For making a tempering, heat some ghee in a small pan. Add mustard seeds to it. Let them crackle. Add curry leaves. Turn off the heat. Mix well.
- Pour it on the yogurt mixture and stir well. Serve it as a side dish with plain rice. Enjoy this aromatic dish!
© 2018 ShailaSheshadri