Cooking is one of my passions. I like to make nutritious and tasty foods at home without using preservatives or artificial colors.
Ginger, Garlic, and Yogurt: Health Benefits
Ginger is aromatic, pungent, and a bit spicy. It adds a special flavor and zest to any dish it's used in. It has very few calories, is a good source of antioxidants, and has a powerful bioactive compound called gingerol. This rhizome aids digestion, reduces nausea, and help fight the common cold and flu, just to name a few benefits.
Garlic is a magical spice that has powerful medicinal properties. Roasted garlic has a captivating smell and flavor that acts as a flavor booster in many curries and beverages. This spice is anti-bacterial and anti-fungal. Garlic is enriched with protein, vitamins, iron, and minerals.
The third major component of this drink is yogurt, or curds. Like all dairy products, yogurt is a good source of animal protein.
Making this beverage is very easy; I prepared it in just 10 minutes. It is a mildly spicy drink that you can serve as a beverage or a side dish with plain rice.
This drink is also known to reduce gas, improve digestion, and induce appetite.
Now, let me share the detailed recipe with you.
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
- 6 garlic cloves
- 1/2 inch ginger, roughly chopped
- 1 dry red chili (less hot variety), use one more chili if you want to use this as a side dish.
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon clarified butter (ghee) or butter, for sauteing
- 3 cups yogurt or curds
- 2 cups water
- 2–3 tablespoons grated coconut (optional)
For the tempering (make this only if serving as a side dish):
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 6 curry leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon ghee
- Heat 1/2 teaspoon ghee or butter in a small pan. Add cumin seeds. Let them sizzle.
- Throw in chopped ginger, garlic, and broken red chili. Saute for 1 minute or a few more seconds. Turn off the heat.
- Transfer it to a mixer or blender. Add grated coconut, salt, and some yogurt. Grind together to get a smooth liquid.
- Pour it to a bowl. Add remaining yogurt or curds. Add water. Mix well. Your favorite ginger-garlic drink is ready!
- You can use it as a beverage straight away. Many people store it in a refrigerator to drink it chilled.
- If you want to use this drink as a side dish, add one more dry red chili while sauteing ginger and garlic. Adding a simple tempering enhances its taste as a side dish.
- For making a tempering, heat some ghee in a small pan. Add mustard seeds to it. Let them crackle. Add curry leaves. Turn off the heat. Mix well.
- Pour it on the yogurt mixture and stir well. Serve it as a side dish with plain rice. Enjoy this aromatic dish!
© 2018 ShailaSheshadri