Margarita worked as an administrative assistant. For the past 10 years, she has been creating her own recipes with great success!
What Is a Minced Meat Pie?
In Greece, savory pies are a very traditional dish. They are typically filled with anything from meat to cheese to vegetables (or any combination thereof), seasoned with tasty herbs and spices, and encased in a tasty pie crust. They are delicious and much beloved for any occasion!
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
1 hour 45 min
- 500 grams veal or beef, minced
- 200 grams gouda cheese, grated
- 2 medium carrots, grated
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 clove of garlic, sliced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 sheets / 600-800 grams puff pastry
- 2 pinches salt
- 2 to 3 pinches pepper
- 2 to 3 pinches cumin or curry powder
- 2 pinches sweet paprika
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 pinches sesame seeds
- 1 pinch linseeds
- 1 tablespoon butter, for the baking dish
- Heat a pan and add olive oil, garlic, onion, and carrots. Stir-fry for 2 to 5 minutes.
- Add the minced meat and continue stir-frying until the meat becomes grainy.
- Add the tomato paste, salt, pepper, cumin or curry, and paprika. Continue stirring until the mixture has no liquid and all of the ingredients are well combined. Remove pan from heat and allow the mixture to cool.
- Spread butter on the bottom and sides of a 31x37cm baking dish. Place 1 sheet of puff pastry down in the bottom of the dish. Spread the cold minced meat filling on top of the puff pastry, and then top with gouda cheese. Cover with the other puff pastry and carve with a knife into squares.
- In a bowl, mix the egg yolk and 2 tablespoons water. Brush this mixture on the top puff pastry. Sprinkle the sesame seeds and linseeds.
- Place the pie in the preheated oven (180 to 200ºC).
© 2020 Margarita Iliadis