Amanda writes about Greek traditional cuisine. She cooks with love using her grandparents' recipes for super-fast, healthy meals.
What Is Spanokopita?
If you want to get more greens into your diet, this is the dish for you!
Spanakopita (Greek spinach pie) is a mixture of spinach, cheese and herbs. Traditionally, the recipe incorporates wild greens, as well.
This recipe was handed down from my grandparents. My grandparents were green thumbs! There were no store-bought greens in their household. Everything green in their kitchen, they had grown themselves.
Every time I visited, I would find them in the garden or kitchen. Freshly picked silverbeet was always on the table. Green beans, spring onions, herbs, eggplants and tomatoes were staples.
So, what to do with all that silverbeet? A spanokopita, of course!
It's a healthy, nutritious, cost-effective dish, even if you buy your greens from your local supermarket.
Cheese, eggs and pastry are the other main ingredients in this dish. This pie has three different cheeses in it: feta, ricotta and Parmesan.
The addition of eggs and greens makes this dish high in protein and full of vitamins and minerals. Top it off with layers of crispy filo and you have a weekday dish that's healthy and nutritious.
I like to make half of this dish ahead of time. I wilt the greens and mix in the eggs and cheese, then pop it in the refrigerator to let the mixture cool. All that's left to do is layer up the pastry, add the cooled spinach mixture, top with more layers of pastry, then slide it into the oven to bake.
I hope you enjoy this recipe and add it to your repertoire!
Yield: 4-6 servings
- 2 whole silverbeets (chard), chopped
- 1/2 cup water
- 3 stalks shallots, chopped
- 1/2 cup parsley, chopped
- 1/2 cup fennel, chopped
- 1/2 cup dill, chopped
- 1/2 cup water
- 200g feta cheese, crumbled
- 100g Parmesan cheese, grated
- 100g ricotta cheese
- 6 eggs
- Salt and pepper
- 100 g unsalted butter, melted
- 12 sheets filo pastry
- In a frypan, add the chopped silverbeet and cook until wilted. Remove and drain to remove any liquid. Lightly squeeze the silverbeet to remove any excess water.
- Place the spinach mixture into a bowl. Add the shallots, herbs and cheeses to the bowl.
- Lightly beat the eggs and add to the bowl.
- Season with pepper and stir the whole mixture until it well combined. Allow mixture to cool.
- Unroll the filo sheets, placing a wet towel on top to prevent drying out.
- Grease a baking dish with olive oil.
- Take one piece of filo and brush with melted butter. Repeat with another 6 sheets layered on top of each other.
- Add all of the filling on top of the filo sheets.
- Cover with another 6 layers of filo sheets, brushing with melted butter between each layer.
- Bake at 180 degrees for 25-30 minutes until golden and flaky.
© 2020 Amanda Moraitis
Amanda Moraitis (author) from Queensland, Australia on February 10, 2020:
Thanks Journey , it is so easy to make!
Nyesha Pagnou MPH from USA on February 05, 2020:
I really enjoy spanakopita. Thanks for sharing your recipe for it!