Margarita worked as an administrative assistant. For the past 10 years, she has been creating her own recipes with great success!
What Is Vasilopita?
Vasilopta is cake or sweet bread that is traditionally served in Greece to celebrate the New Year. The cake is prepared with ingredients that symbolize prosperity and wealth for the upcoming year. One of the most important "ingredients" is a coin. On New Year's Day, a senior member of the family slices and distributes the vasilopita. The member of the family who discovers the coin in their slice is considered blessed for the New Year!
This vasilopita recipe can be made not only on New Year's Day but for other special occasions, as well.
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
1 hour 40 min
For the cake:
- 150 grams white almonds, finely chopped
- 50 grams cashews, chopped
- 500 grams all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon powder
- 1/2 teaspoon clove powder
- 250 grams fresh butter
- 400 gram white crystallized sugar
- 2 vanilla capsules
- 5 eggs, separated
- 1 orange, zested
- 120 grams orange juice
- 120 grams milk
- 120 grams black raisins
- 80 grams brandy
- 1/2 teaspoon soda powder
- 1 pinch salt
For the decoration:
- 250 grams couverture white chocolate
- 200 grams cream
- 8-12 stuffed cookies, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 170 degrees and bake at the lower rank. Soak the raisins in the brandy. In a nonstick pan, roast the almonds and cashews and let it cool down.
- In a bowl, beat the egg whites with salt in a bowl. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, beat the butter with sugar. Add the egg whites into this bowl; then add the cinnamon, clove powder, orange zest and vanilla capsules.
- Add the egg yolks (one by one). Add the soda in the juice and rinse it in the mixture; then continue adding the flour, the baking, and the milk. Finally, add the almonds and cashews and the coin (very well cleaned and wrapped in aluminum foil).
- Pour the mixture into a nonstick round pan of 28-30 cm. Bake for about 55-60 minutes.
- To decorate: In a nonstick pan, add the slices of white chocolate and let it melt. Remove from heat. Add the cream and stir until a thick mixture is made and is no longer hot. Pour this mixture on top of the cold vasilopita. Top with chopped cookies.
Step-by-Step Photo Guide
© 2021 Margarita Iliadis
Any comments about Greek vasilopita?
E Randall from Florida on January 02, 2021:
Looks delicious, I will try to make that some time. Thanks for posting.