Rajan loves cooking dishes from his native Indian cuisine. He enjoys sharing his favourite recipes with his online readers.
Khichdi is a popular Indian dish consisting primarily of rice and lentils that has a porridge-like consistency and is salty in taste. Moong dal khichdi is prepared with mung beans. It is quick and easy, light on the stomach and requires very few ingredients to make.
It can be enjoyed by itself or served with lemon or mango pickle and dahi (curd).
Read More From Delishably
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
About 3 servings
- 1/2 cup chilke wali moong dal (split mung beans)
- 1/2 cup rice
- 1 tsp salt
- 2-3 tbsp desi ghee (clarified butter)
- 2 tbsp bhuna jeera (roasted cumin seed powder)
- 1/4 tsp black pepper powder
- 4 or more cups water
- Soak the rice and moong dal separately in water for 15 minutes before preparation; then drain out the water.
- In a pressure cooker add the rice, dal and salt. Add 4 cups of water, close the cooker, keep the heat on medium and let it come to the whistle. At the whistle, reduce the heat to low and cook for 2-3 minutes. Put off the heat.
- Open the pressure cooker when the pressure eases. The khichdi should be cooked. If it is thick, add more water. Keep the heat on medium and bring it to the consistency you like.
- Make the tadka (tempering): In a pan, add the desi ghee and heat it until it melt. Take it off the heat and add the roasted cumin seed powder and black pepper powder. Pour the tadka in the khichdi, reserving a little for garnishing.
- Stir the khichdi, remove from heat and transfer to a serving bowl.
- Serve the khichdi with lemon or mango pickle and dahi (curd).
Green Moong Dal Khichdi Recipe
© 2020 Rajan Singh Jolly