Cooking is one of my passions. I like to make nutritious and tasty foods at home.
Banana Pancakes (Dosa)
I had some overripe bananas that inspired me to make these deliciously sweet and flavorful pancakes. You can increase the sweetness of these pancakes by adding more jaggery or sugar to the batter. I prefer to use jaggery because it enhances the taste and is considered to be better for your health. If you make the less sweet type of pancakes, you can serve them with spicy coconut chutney; if you prefer to make the sweeter type, they are typically served without any condiments at all.
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
- 3 cups raw white rice, soaked in water
- 1 teaspoon fenugreek seeds, soaked in water
- 3/4 cup grated coconut
- 1 1/2 cups ripe banana, chopped
- 1/4 cup jaggery powder or sugar (jaggery preferred)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- ghee or butter for making pancakes
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder (optional, gives light yellow color)
- Wash rice. Soak it in freshwater with fenugreek seeds for 3-4 hours.
- Grind the rice-fenugreek seed mix, grated coconut, chopped bananas, and jaggery powder. Add water while grinding in order to achieve a smooth batter. The batter should be neither thin nor thick. Add salt. Mix well with your hands, cover the vessel, and set it aside to rest. The batter may take about 8 hours to rise in volume and become light. Mix the batter again after resting.
- Heat a pancake griddle. Brush a few drops of ghee or oil-ghee mix on the surface. Pour 1 1/2 ladles of batter in the center of the griddle. Quickly spread it in a circular direction with the help of the ladle head bottom. Don't make it too thin.
- Sprinkle a few drops of ghee on the top. Cover the pan with a lid. Flip the pancake after 1 minute or when the bottom side becomes golden. Let the other side also turn golden. Now you can observe that the pancake is very soft and porous.
- Transfer the pancake on a serving plate.
- Cook the remaining pancakes, repeating steps 4-5.
- Serve with or without spicy coconut chutney. Enjoy!
- Banana pancakes can be made either less or more sweet. You may adjust the jaggery accordingly.
- You can add turmeric powder to the batter to get yellow pancakes. They are healthier.
- Prepare the batter the night before so that it will be ready to make pancakes for breakfast. The resting time of 8 hours is needed to get soft and fluffy pancakes.
- No need to add cardamom. Banana pancake has its own flavor.
ShailaSheshadri (author) from Bengaluru on May 21, 2017:
Thanks for dropping in. Yes.. it is a delicious recipe. Try it for the breakfast.
HAFSA from islamabad on May 21, 2017:
Wow it looks yummy i must try this
ShailaSheshadri (author) from Bengaluru on May 13, 2017:
Yeah.. thanks for reading my article. You can try this for breakfast or for evening meal. Once you prepare the batter, it is very easy. Store the remaining batter in the refrigerator.
Louise Powles from Norfolk, England on May 13, 2017:
I've never tried banana pancakes before, but it sounds lovely. I'll certainly be trying this, thankyou. =)