I like to cook and eat natural, healthy, and tasty foods, and I enjoy sharing recipes from my native Indian cuisine.
What Are Brahmi (Gotu Kola) and Curry Leaves
Brahmi, also known as Gotu kola, is one of the most powerful tonics in Ayurveda. Traditionally, Brahmi leaves were used to help boost memory, intelligence, and relax the central nervous system. Even now, people give this tonic to children because it is believed that it can increase the brainpower.
Curry leaves are native to India. They are flavoring agents that are often used in curries. These leaves not only add flavor to the curry, but they have medicinal properties that benefit health as well. They are considered to have antioxidant, anti-diabetic, antimicrobial, anti-inflammatory, and anti-carcinogenic properties.
They may also help protect the liver from damage.
Incorporating brahmi and curry leaves in your diet may enhance your general health. Making a Brahmi and curry leaf drink (popularly known as "tambuli") is very easy. Drink this simple beverage once in a while and boost your overall health.
Read More From Delishably
|Prep time||Ready in||Yields|
Four cups of beverage
- 1 cup brahmi leaves with stems attached
- 1/2 cup curry leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper corns
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 tablespoon grated coconut (optional, for flavor and thickness)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk, curd, or yogurt
- water, as needed
- Saute peppercorns and cumin seeds until they become crispy.
- In a mixer grinder, add Brahmi leaves, curry leaves, peppercorns, cumin seeds, and grated coconut. Add some buttermilk, curd, or yogurt. Grind it to get a smooth paste.
- Transfer it to a bowl. Add remaining buttermilk or curd and salt. Mix well.
- Add water to bring the beverage to the drinking consistency.
- Pour the beverage into serving glass. Drink it fresh! Store the remaining beverage in the refrigerator.