A Refreshing Brahmi (Gotu Kola) and Curry Leaf Beverage for Summer
What Are Brahmi (Gotu Kola) and Curry Leaves
Brahmi, also known as Gotu kola, is one of the most powerful tonics in Ayurveda. Traditionally, Brahmi leaves were used to help boost memory, intelligence, and relax the central nervous system. Even now, people give this tonic to children because it is believed that it can increase the brainpower.
Curry leaves are native to India. They are flavoring agents that are often used in curries. These leaves not only add flavor to the curry, but they have medicinal properties that benefit health as well. They are considered to have antioxidant, anti-diabetic, antimicrobial, anti-inflammatory, and anti-carcinogenic properties.
They may also help protect the liver from damage.
Incorporating brahmi and curry leaves in your diet may enhance your general health. Making a Brahmi and curry leaf drink (popularly known as "tambuli") is very easy. Drink this simple beverage once in a while and boost your overall health.
- 1 cup brahmi leaves with stems attached
- 1/2 cup curry leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper corns
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 tablespoon grated coconut (optional, for flavor and thickness)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk, curd, or yogurt
- water, as needed
- Saute peppercorns and cumin seeds until they become crispy.
- In a mixer grinder, add Brahmi leaves, curry leaves, peppercorns, cumin seeds, and grated coconut. Add some buttermilk, curd, or yogurt. Grind it to get a smooth paste.
- Transfer it to a bowl. Add remaining buttermilk or curd and salt. Mix well.
- Add water to bring the beverage to the drinking consistency.
- Pour the beverage into serving glass. Drink it fresh! Store the remaining beverage in the refrigerator.
1. Make Brahmi and curry leaf beverage sufficient for one-time use.
2. Store the remaining beverage in the refrigerator and drink it within a few hours.
|Serving size: 1|
|Calories from Fat||0|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 0 g|
|Carbohydrates 0 g|
|Sugar 0 g|
|Fiber 1 g||4%|
|Protein 1 g||2%|
|Cholesterol 0 mg|
|Sodium 4 mg|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|