My name is Lakshmi, and I am a homemaker. I love cooking and experimenting with different recipes.
Channa masala is a delicious and mouthwatering side dish that can be served with naan, chapathi and chole bhature. I am going to share the way I prepare this Punjabi-style recipe. The end result offers some of the same flavors of paneer butter masala, but with fewer calories.
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
4 to 5 servings
- 250 grams chickpeas, boiled
- 3 medium tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons chilli powder
- 2 teaspoons coriander powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala powder
- 1 teaspoon poppy seeds
- 3 tablespoons ghee
- 1 large onion, diced
- Handful of curry leaves
- 2 tablespoons ginger-garlic paste
- Salt, to taste
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Soak the chickpeas overnight; then boil them in a pressure cooker until they become soft.
- In a mixer jar, add a handful of boiled chickpeas, chilli powder, coriander powder, garam masala powder, poppy seeds and tomatoes. Grind to a fine paste and set aside.
- Heat a pan, add 3 tablespoons of ghee and add onions and curry leaves. Saute for a while, then add the ginger-garlic paste and saute till the onions become glossy.
- At this stage, add the ground paste, salt and sugar. Cook until the ghee separates from the gravy.
- Finally, add the remaining boiled chickpeas and cook for another 5 minutes over low heat.
- Serve the healthy and delicious channa masala with naan or chapathi.