Spicy Cabbage and Onion Pancake Recipe (Spicy Vegetable Dosa)
Cabbage and onion pancakes are spicy and delicious. They are a filling snack, and they can also be a substitute for evening meals. The spicy pancake batter is made with , and it can be used to make many varieties of pancakes by using different vegetables, like potato, cabbage, spinach, fenugreek leaves, ridge gourd, etc. In this article, I demonstrate how to make the spicy cabbage and onion version and the spicy ridge gourd one. crepe rice
Step 1: Make the Spicy Batter
- 2 1/2 cups white raw rice/crepe rice, soaked in water for 3 hours
- 3/4 cup coconut, grated
- 10 red chilies (dry)
- 1 lemon-size tamarind, soaked in water
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 lemon-size piece of jaggery
- 2 teaspoons coriander seeds
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon asafoetida/hing
- 1/4 teaspoon fenugreek seeds, optional
- 3/4 teaspoon salt to taste
- 2 cups cabbage, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup onion, finely chopped
- oil for shallow frying
- Wash the rice.
- Soak the rice in fresh water with the fenugreek seeds for 3 hours. Strain the water. Collect it in a glass for later use.
- Place the soaked rice with fenugreek seeds, red chili, asafoetida, turmeric powder, soaked tamarind, grated coconut, cumin seeds, coriander seeds, jaggery, and salt in a grinder. Grind, adding water to get a near-smooth, medium-thick batter.
- Transfer the batter to another container.
- Mix once.
- Rest the batter for 3 to 4 hours. Or, you can even use it instantly.
Step 2: Make the Spicy Cabbage and Onion Pancakes
- 2 cups of finely chopped cabbage
- 1/2 cup of finely chopped onion
- 1 heaping cup or more of the spicy batter (see recipe above)
- Take a mixing bowl. Add two cups of finely chopped cabbage, half a cup of finely chopped onion, and one heaping cup or more of the spicy batter. Mix well. The mix should be loose so that it will be easier to spread on the pan.
- Heat a pan. Grease it with some oil.
- Pour a ladle full of the mix in the center. Let the fire be minimal until you spread the mix into a pancake. Slowly spread it towards the edges with your fingers. Flatten it. Leave 2 to 3 holes in between. Increase the flame.
- The pancake size depends on you. You can make a full-size pancake or a small pancake.
- Sprinkle a few drops of oil on the top side.
- Cover the pan with a lid.
- After two minutes, the bottom side should turn a golden color. Flip it. Sprinkle a few drops of oil.
- Cook for two more minutes or until the pancake gets a golden color.
- Remove to a serving plate.
- Enjoy it hot!!
Another Version of the Recipe: Spicy Ridge Gourd Pancakes
The procedure is same as in the previous recipe. However, in this case, you have to:
- Thinly slice the ridge gourd (remove the skin).
- Dip the gourd slices in the batter.
- Keep the slices in the greased hot pan, touching one another. (See photos below.)
- You can make a spicy potato version by slicing the potatoes the same way you did the ridge gourd.
- Tender fenugreek leaves can be used with this batter. You have to finely chop the leaves and some onion, then follow the basic pancake-making steps from above.
- Even spinach can be used with this recipe.
- You can make spicy vegetable pancakes for an after-school snack.