I like to cook and eat natural, healthy, and tasty foods, and I enjoy sharing recipes from my native Indian cuisine.
Tasty Dip With Stuffed Parathas
Roasted tomato salsa is a fantastic accompaniment for stuffed parathas and chapati. The main ingredient of this dish, and you might expect, is roasted tomatoes. Tomatoes are a good source of healthy antioxidants, potassium, folate, and vitamins C and K.
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
- 5 medium tomatoes, roasted and peeled
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onions
- 4-5 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 green chili, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 2 teaspoons jaggery powder
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped coriander leaves
- 2-3 teaspoons oil
- 1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- Wash the tomatoes and pat them dry. Roast each tomato on the gas stove, keeping the heat at medium-low. Turn them every 1-2 minutes. As you turn them, you will observe blackish spots and broken skin.
- Turn off the heat and allow the tomatoes to cool. Once they have cooled to the touch, peel the skin. Finely chop the flesh and set aside. I used a food chopper to chop mine.
- Heat oil in a deep-bottomed pan. Add mustard seeds and cumin seeds. Allow them to crackle. Throw in the chopped onions and chopped green chilies. Saute over medium heat until the onions become pinkish.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and some salt. Increase the heat and saute for 4-5 minutes.
- Add jaggery powder, turmeric powder, and red chili powder. Continue to saute until the tomatoes cook and the mixture gets semi-solid consistency.
- Add finely chopped garlic and remaining salt. Mix well. Simmer it for 1 minute.
- Turn off the heat. and transfer the mixture to a serving dish. Garnish with chopped coriander leaves and chopped onions.
- Serve with hot paratha or chapati. Enjoy!
ShailaSheshadri (author) from Bengaluru on June 18, 2020:
Thanks for your comment. Homemade salsa is healthier. Please do try this recipe!
Sp Greaney from Ireland on June 18, 2020:
I usually buy salsa, which I know is lazy. But now knowing how simple it is to make, I'm going to atttempt it. Thanks for sharing your recipe.