Shwetha Bhat is passionate about cooking. She loves to prepare meals with healthy and easily available ingredients.
Delicious Potato Snack
Honey chili potato is a tasty snack recipe that can be prepared very easily. It tastes delicious, and it is beloved by kids and adults alike. Serve it on its own or with tomato ketchup.
Potato is a root vegetable with important nutrients like potassium and vitamins C and B6. In Indian cuisine, potatoes are used to make wide variety of dishes like sambar, paratha, dosa, snacks and so on.
Honey is a rich source of antioxidants and has antibacterial and antifungal properties. It is used as natural sweetener in many dishes.
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
- 4 potatoes, washed, peeled and sliced
- 2 cups water, or as required
- 2 1/2 tablespoons corn flour
- 1 tablespoon red chili powder
- 1-2 cups oil
- salt to taste
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 1 teaspoon ginger, washed and chopped
- 5-6 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1-2 green chilies, chopped
- 2 tablespoons spring onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons honey
- Wash and peel potatoes; then chop them into medium-thin slices.
- Transfer the sliced potatoes to a pot, add water to immerse them completely, and cook for 5 minutes. Do not overcook. Switch off the flame.
- Drain water from the potatoes and transfer them to a plate. Add corn flour and red chili powder. Mix and combine well.
- In a pan, heat oil. Add flour-coated potatoes to the hot oil and fry over medium flame, stirring at intervals, till the potatoes turns golden brown and crisp (may take around 4-5 minutes). Transfer fried potatoes to a plate.
- Add salt to the fried potatoes and mix well.
- In a frying pan, add sesame seeds. Dry-fry till aromatic. Transfer to a plate.
- In the same pan, heat oil, and add chopped ginger, garlic, green chilies, and spring onion. Fry them well.
- Add tomato sauce and soy sauce. Mix well.
- Combine the fried potatoes with the sauces. Add fried sesame seeds and chopped spring onion. Mix well and switch off the flame.
- Add honey. Mix and combine well.
- Serve hot with tomato ketchup and enjoy.
Step-by-Step Photo Guide
- Diced capsicum and onion can also be added, if you desire. If using, first fry these vegetables and then add sauces.
- Always add honey after switching off the flame. Heating honey causes adverse effects and alters the quality of honey. It also makes honey to lose its enzymes and essential nutrients.
- You can increase the quantity of red chili powder and green chilies for a spicier snack.
- You can increase the quantity of tomato sauce and honey to make it sweeter.
- Remember that soy sauce contains salt, so add salt carefully.