Easy Jamaican-Style Curry Chicken Quick Stew
Curry Chicken Quick Stew: An Easy Recipe
It was a long day that led to a late Sunday evening when I found myself just starting to prepare dinner. I thought about my mother as I cleaned, cut up, and seasoned some chicken for this recipe. It has all the elements of an authentic curry chicken except for the coconut milk (because I didn't have any). So if you think you don't have enough time or all the ingredients needed to prepare a tasty Caribbean meal, think again. Try this curry chicken quick stew and enjoy the meal!
Try a Quick Curry Chicken Recipe
Have you ever tried to cook curry chicken?
A Classic Comfort Food
My mother was gifted with the ability to whip up a hearty dinner for our family with whatever she could pull together in her kitchen. The right ingredients seemed to always be at her fingertips.
She was able to stay true to the techniques and authentic flavors of her homeland, Jamaica, West Indies, while preparing meals in no time.
Our favorites were stew chicken and curry chicken which represented yummy comfort food in our Jamaican-American household.
She had various recipes and methods of preparation, depending on how much time she had or for who and for how many people she was cooking.
I offer this curry chicken quick stew recipe in memory of my dear mother who poured her love into every meal.
- 3 whole chicken legs, cut into 12 pieces with cleaver to cut bone
- 3 medium potatoes
- 2 teaspoons sea salt, or low sodium seasonings
- 3 garlic cloves chopped
- 2 teaspoons thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup onions chopped
- 1/4 cup red pepper chopped
- 3 Tablespoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon Jamaica allspice
- canola oil
- Rinse chicken with water and lemon juice. Cut up chicken into pieces by using a cleaver of other knife to break the bone. Season with salt, black pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, allspice, thyme leaves and garlic cloves. Coat chicken well with seasonings adding curry powder, one tablespoon at a time until chicken is well coated. Set aside.
- Wash, peel, and cut potatoes into small pieces. Cut up onions to fill half a cup. Chop red peppers to fill 1/4 cup. Add to chicken and mix well to blend with seasonings.
- Heat frying pan with about 1/4 inch canola oil for browning chicken. Place chicken pieces in pan on high heat, brown on both sides, turning once after about 4 minutes on each side. Place browned pieces of chicken into large pot (dutch oven style). Add hot water to pot, about 2 inches high making sure not to completely cover chicken with water. Cover, turn heat to low.
- Saute potatoes, onions, and red peppers in same pan on high heat, browning slightly for about 4 minutes. Add to chicken, cover and continue cooking on low for 35 minutes. Stir occasionally. (Add small amount of flour or corn starch mixed with water to thicken texture if desired.) Taste and prepare to your liking altering amounts of salt, pepper and curry powder. Serve with white rice and/or vegetables.
Photo GuideClick thumbnail to view full-size
Rate This Recipe
Questions & Answers
© 2013 Janis Leslie Evans