Eunice loves to cook Nigerian food and share her recipes with others.
A Delicious Local Dish
Jollof rice and beans is a one-pot dish that is popular across West Africa. Each region has its own variation, but all of them are nutritious and filling.
This particular recipe comes from Nigeria. It can be prepared with different kinds of beans, but I prefer black-eyed peas because they cook quickly. I hope you try this tasty dish and let me know what you think!
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
1 hour 30 min
- 2 1/2 cups long-grain rice
- 2 cups black-eyed peas
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- Scotch bonnet, to taste
- 1/2 cup fresh prawns or ground dried crayfish
- 1 clove garlic
- Salt, to taste
- Curry powder, to taste
- Thyme, to taste
- Basil (optional)
- 1/2 cup tomato paste
- 1 onion
- Meat, chopped (enough to make a meat stock)
- Boil the meat and make a meat stock. Set aside.
- In a separate pot, boil the black-eyed peas till they are soft. Drain them in a colander.
- Pour hot water into a bowl. Add the rice into the hot water and cover it. Set aside. (Alternatively, you can parboil the rice and drain in a colander.)
- Heat some oil in a pot. Throw in the sliced onions and blended scotch bonnet. Fry for 1 minute to bring out the flavour.
- Add the curry powder and dry thyme.
- Add the tomato paste and fry for a few seconds. Stir continuously, taking care not to allow it to burn.
- Add the meat stock you made and bring it to a boil.
- Taste for salt.
- Add salt (if needed), seasonings, ground dried crayfish and or fresh prawns.
- Add in the beans and then the rice (in that order).
- Add the parboiled meat or fry it if you want.
- Allow it to cook until the water has cooked off. Check it to see if it's done. If it's not, add a little more water and cover. Check the pot constantly; rice and beans have a tendency to burn.
Eunice Godfrey (author) from Nigeria on May 22, 2020:
Hi Farrah it is refreshing indeed.
Farrah Young from Lagos, Nigeria on May 22, 2020:
This meal is refreshing different and I also cook it when I need a change in my meal time table.