How to Make Masala Akki Rotti (Masala Rice Roti)
A Wonderful Breakfast, Dinner, or Anytime Snack
Making a traditional rice roti (rice flatbread) by combining rice flour, onions, green chilies, and cumin seeds is a thing of the past. Now, we can make a delicious rice roti, called masala rice roti, which is spicy and more delicious. This flatbread is colorful and flavorful. The unique flavor of the roti comes from the onions, spring onion greens, carrots, dill leaves, fresh coriander, masala powders, and curry leaves.
Serve akki roti hot with a dollop of butter or ghee. This makes a filling breakfast or dinner, or a mouth-watering snack between meals.
I am sure you are now eager to learn how to make the yummy masala rice roti. I will now share the recipe.
- 2 heaped cups rice flour
- 1/2 cup grated coconut
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/4 cup grated carrots
- 1/4 cup onions, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh coriander
- 1 tbsp chopped curry leaves
- 2 green chilies, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup dill leaves, washed, finely chopped
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp red chili powder
- salt to taste
- 1 tsp oil, for making each roti
- 2 pinches sugar, optional, to balance the taste
- In a large mixing bowl, add rice flour, cumin seeds, grated coconut, chopped dill leaves, chopped coriander, chopped green chilies, chopped curry leaves, grated carrot, turmeric powder, red chili powder, sugar (optional), and salt.
- Dry mix the ingredients. Next, add water little by little, and softly knead to get a firm dough. Cover the dough and allow it to rest for 10 minutes.
- Pinch out a portion of dough with your fingers, shape it into a ball, and place it on a greased butter paper or a thick plastic sheet.
- Apply oil to your fingers, and pat each ball uniformly to get a medium-thick disc of about a 4-inch diameter. Refer the photo.
- Heat a flat pan. Transfer the disc to the pan. You can either slowly slide the disc by turning the butter paper upside down on the pan, or you can pick up the disc in your palm, and place it on the pan.
- Keep the heat on medium-high. Sprinkle a few drops of oil on the top. You can cover the pan for fast cooking. Flip it once the bottom part becomes a bit golden brown.
- Once both the sides become golden brown, remove and set on a plate,
- Cook the remaining roti following the above instructions.
- Add a spoonful of fresh butter on top of the roti and serve hot with a chutney or tomato sauce.
Masala akki roti makes a wonderful breakfast or dinner. Enjoy the taste!
Nutritional Information of Masala Akki Rotti (Masala Rice Roti)
|Serving size: 1|
|Calories from Fat||9|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 1 g||2%|
|Saturated fat 0 g|
|Carbohydrates 26 g||9%|
|Sugar 0 g|
|Fiber 3 g||12%|
|Protein 3 g||6%|
|Cholesterol 0 mg|
|Sodium 54 mg||2%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|