Cooking is one of my passions. I like to make nutritious and tasty foods at home without using preservatives and artificial colors.
A Wonderful Breakfast, Dinner, or Anytime Snack
Making a traditional rice roti (rice flatbread) by combining rice flour, onions, green chilies, and cumin seeds is a thing of the past. Now, we can make a delicious rice roti called masala rice roti, which is spicy and more delicious. This flatbread is colorful and flavorful. The unique flavor of the roti comes from the onions, spring onion greens, carrots, dill leaves, fresh coriander, masala powders, and curry leaves.
Serve akki roti hot with a dollop of butter or ghee. This makes a filling breakfast or dinner or a mouthwatering snack between meals.
I am sure you are eager to learn how to make the yummy masala rice roti. I will now share the recipe.
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
Serves four people
- 2 heaped cups rice flour
- 1/2 cup grated coconut
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/4 cup grated carrots
- 1/4 cup onions, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh coriander
- 1 tablespoon chopped curry leaves
- 2 green chilies, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup dill leaves, washed, finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili powder
- salt to taste
- 1 teaspoon oil, for making each roti
- 2 pinches sugar (optional, to balance the taste)
- In a large mixing bowl, add the rice flour, cumin seeds, grated coconut, chopped dill leaves, chopped coriander, chopped green chilies, chopped curry leaves, grated carrot, turmeric powder, red chili powder, sugar (optional), and salt.
- Dry-mix the ingredients. Next, add water little by little, and softly knead to get a firm dough. Cover the dough and allow it to rest for 10 minutes.
- Pinch out a portion of dough with your fingers, shape it into a ball, and place it on a greased butter paper or a thick plastic sheet.
- Apply oil to your fingers, and pat each ball uniformly to get a medium-thick disc of about a 4-inch diameter. Refer to the photo.
- Heat a flat pan. Transfer the disc to the pan. You can either slowly slide the disc by turning the butter paper upside down on the pan, or you can pick up the disc in your palm and place it on the pan.
- Keep the heat on medium-high. Sprinkle a few drops of oil on top of the disc. You can cover the pan for fast cooking. Flip the disc once the bottom part becomes a bit golden brown.
- Once both sides are golden brown, remove the cooked disc and set it on a plate.
- Cook the remaining roti following the above instructions.
- Add a spoonful of fresh butter on top of the roti and serve hot with a chutney or tomato sauce.
Read More From Delishably
Masala akki roti makes a wonderful breakfast or dinner. Enjoy the taste!