Methi Matar Malai Recipe (Fenugreek and Green Pea Curry)
Relish This Delectable Curry
In the Marathi language, methi means fenugreek, matar means green peas, and malai means milk cream. Methi matar malai, therefore, is a curry made with these three ingredients.
Fenugreek and green peas are storehouses of many beneficial nutrients. Accordingly, this curry is very nourishing. In addition, the milk cream imparts a creamy and smooth finish, and the spices enhance the aroma and flavor of this dish.
I should add here that methi matar malai is a quick dish. Now, let me share the detailed recipe with you.
- 1 packed cup fenugreek leaves, stems removed (we will only use the leaves)
- 1 cup green peas, fresh or frozen
- 1/3 cup milk cream
- 1 tablespoon curd
- 1 big tomato, pureed
- 1 onion, roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon cashew nuts
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
- 1 green chili
- 1/4 inch ginger
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 inch cinnamon stick
- 2 to 3 cloves
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili powder
- 2 pinches turmeric powder
- 2 pinches sugar, optional, to balance the taste
- 1/4 cup milk, optional
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- Puree the chopped tomatoes. Set aside.
- Saute the chopped onions, ginger, garlic, cinnamon stick, cloves, poppy seeds, cashew nuts, and green chili in butter for 2 minutes. Turn off the heat. Make a paste, adding the curds. Set aside.
- Heat the remaining butter in a deep-bottomed pan. Throw in the cumin seeds. Saute until they crackle.
- Add the ground paste and saute for 2 minutes over a low fire.
- Add the fresh or frozen green peas, chopped fenugreek leaves, red chili powder, turmeric powder, salt, and sugar. Mix thoroughly.
- Add the milk. Cook the mixture for 6 to 7 minutes or until the green peas and fenugreek leaves are cooked. You can cover the pan for a while to speed up the cooking.
- Add the tomato puree. Mix well. Let the mixture boil for 2 to 3 minutes more. Add the milk cream. Combine thoroughly. Turn off the heat.
- The methi matar malai is done! Transfer it to a serving dish. Garnish with some more cream.
- Serve this dish with any type of flatbread, ghee rice, or fried rice. Enjoy the fantastic combo meal!
|Serving size: 1|
|Calories from Fat||72|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 8 g||12%|
|Saturated fat 1 g||5%|
|Carbohydrates 14 g||5%|
|Sugar 0 g|
|Fiber 4 g||16%|
|Protein 6 g||12%|
|Cholesterol 3 mg||1%|
|Sodium 38 mg||2%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|